Chapter Twenty-one

My jaw nearly dropped to the floor

Why was Ben here?

Apparently Josh was equally as baffled, because his complexion mirrored mine.  I only hoped Ben didn't feel he was unwelcome.

"Ben, what are you doing here?" asked Josh, his body twisted around in his chair. His dark eyebrows were furrowed in confusion, trying to make sense of it all. At least, I was.

"I wanted to check up on you two," Ben replied coolly, apparently uneffected by our shocked welcome.

In all honesty, though I was thoroughly surprised, I was also glad. I couldn't explain why, I just was.

"How is she?" he continued, his intense gaze briefly falling on Ginger.

I shrugged, experiencing a sudden wave of depression. Would Ginger ever get better? Would she never wake up? The mere thoughts pained me, sending guilt coursing through my veins. Guilt. Regret. Sadness. They were my only emotions at that moment.

In response to Ben, I pulled my gaze and looked at him, his eyes boring into mine. I shrugged and said honestly:

"I don't know.  Every so often a nurse comes in to check her vitals. They've been the same for three hours."

Another twinge of despondency.

But, also, hunger. I glanced at the clock and noticed that I hadn't eaten since breakfast. My stomach grumbled, urging me to eat something. Anything.

It was odd, though. It was like I hadn't felt it until now.  Like my previous gloomy emotions had been controlling ever ounce of my body.

Suddenly, as if reading my exact thoughts, Ben said, "Have you eaten anything today---besides breakfast?"

I shook my head, a little ashamed of it.

"Why don't I take you out somewhere?" He paused, as if trying to further convince me. "Your pick. You can get some fresh air---take a little time away from here."

The offer was perfect.

One-on-one time with Ben Cook. It was practically a date. Execpt, it would've been even better if Ginger wasn't...in her condition.

I glanced doubtfully at her, feeling utterly torn. When was an opportunity like this going to present itself again? I knew if Ginger was healthy and well, she would squeal and basically drag me out of our apartment. But she wasn't healthy and well. In fact, she was the exact opposite.

At any given moment, the meter tracking her heartbeat could lull to a chilling stop.

The thought triggered the aching behind my eyes, which I hastily blinked away.

As if seeing my distress, Josh offered:

"I could stay here, if you'd like. The moment anything happens, I'll call you. Or Ben, since your phone is dead." His eyes widened, as if suddenly aware of his choice of words.