Chapter Thirty-two

As I went to rejoin Stephanie in the kitchen, the wheels in my brain turned endlessly

As I went to rejoin Stephanie in the kitchen, the wheels in my brain turned endlessly.  I was playing devil's advocate with myself.  Under no circumstances did I want to annoy or vex Ben, but my swelling jealousy was starting to get out of hand.  And I didn't even know why.

Ever since Kimberly appeared, I
began realizing how uncharacteristically I acted whenever I was around Ben.  Which was strange, because I didn't even like him---in the romantic way, that is.   Or did I? Or was I suffering the aftermath of being starstruck? 

My jumbled thoughts replayed the night Ben, Josh, and I were standing in a hospital hallway, biding farewell.  I'd felt something then, as Ben and I hugged goodbye.  But I promised myself that it wouldn't evolve anything and risk our friendship.  And, honestly, I'd been keeping that personal secret well, until now.

Why did I allow Kim to bring out the worst in me?

I returned to Stephanie, still unsure of my future plans.  She was wearing her typical smile, displaying her uncanny set of perfectly white teeth. She looked a walking ad for those annoying whitening strips. 

"You found it alright?" she asked, her hand wrapped around a freshly poured cup of coffee.

"What?" I asked, her voice yanking me back to reality.  I hadn't been paying attention and, as a result, felt a slight burn in my cheeks.

"Did you find the bathroom?"

"Oh!  Yeah, I did," I smiled and stole a finale glance over my shoulder in the direction of the terrace.  I don't know what I expected to see, if anything at all.  Maybe in my wildest fantasies, Ben would be standing there, his piercing gray-blue eyes locking with mine, smiling, waiting for me on the terrace.  But instead I found an empty hallway engulfed in the evening shadow.

"Are you okay?" Stephanie asked, her eyebrows furrowed with concern.  "You look a little disoriented."

I focused my attention on Stephanie, an apologetic expression lacing my features. 

"Yes, I'm fine, thanks."

"Are you positive?  Maybe you need some coffee?"

I was beginning to interpret Stephanie's pressing kindness as sickly sweet.  But, like previously stated, my mind was entertaining a million different thoughts, whether they were true or not.

"Really," I said as assuringly as possible, "I'm okay.  But thank you."

Stephanie nodded in reply and took a sip of her steaming beverage.

After a brief moment of silence, when Stephanie valued her coffee more than me, she suggested that we return to the other room---which I had been right in calling it an office.

I agreed, seeing as there was obviously nothing more entertaining happening at the moment, and began the dreaded parting of the sea.  I followed Stephanie, marvelling over how she managed to dodge several flailing dancers without spilling her coffee even once.