09

CHAPTER NINE

TODAY was the day.

the day kihyun would finally see changkyun again after a month. it didn't seem that long, and it really wasn't at all, but he thought about him everyday without missing a beat. which, by the way, was actually really pathetic that he missed the boy that much, when the other probably didn't even give him a second thought.

presently, kihyun was outside in the night air, in the midst of sweeping the withered, auburn-coloured leaves that had blown in through the double doors, along with a few stray plastic wrappers. he ended up picking the litter up, discarding it into the nearest rubbish bin. he also accidentally stumbled over his feet a few times, almost falling face first into the leaves, feeling how the late nights affect his brain.

he huffed, rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand, already wanting to go back home to sleep.

as kihyun went to turn around, walk back into the arena, his gaze fell upon a vehicle pulling up on the parking lot- nayoung was the first to step out, quickly jogging around to the passengers side.

kihyun watched her open the door, taking her bag that was resting next to changkyun's feet. holding the boy's hand, nayoung helped him out of the car, being gentle with her actions, making sure changkyun wouldn't fall. suddenly, sleep wasn't important for kihyun, and all he could do was stand there in complete adoration; heartbeat quickening.

then, he dropped the broom to the ground, flinching at the sound.

gaining the attention of nayoung and changkyun, he gave a small, awkward wave in their direction. he earned a wave back from nayoung and an extremely confused look from changkyun. kihyun understood why, so he wasn't exactly expecting any gesture from the other that suggested he acknowledged his existence right then and there.

strolling over to them, he noticed how the girl turned to changkyun, whispering something to him. the boy only nodded his head.

"hey!" kihyun cringed at himself.

nayoung only wiggled her eyebrows at him in a type of response. changkyun's head tilted up in the air, like he recognized kihyun's voice. he smiled, adding a barely audible hi, kihyun. which caused kihyun's mind to feel a tad more at ease after hearing the boy's smooth voice.

"need any help?" the male looked at nayoung, then her bag, hinting that he could carry it for her.

"actually, yes," she smirked. that was when kihyun knew nayoung was up to something. "can you walk changkyun over to the seats? i need to get changed."

"but you're already-"

kihyun stopped talking, it was no use, anyways. the girl was already running away, disappearing into the building, leaving kihyun and changkyun by themselves, standing outside with nothing but the company of the chilly wind.

her plan was to get them alone, he saw it now. and he couldn't exactly ruin her plan, right?

kihyun opened his mouth, letting out an extremely unnecessary dragged-out uh sound. "let's go inside," he concluded, watching as changkyun shyly nodded his head.

the boy hesitantly reached out his hand towards kihyun, expecting him to take it. which he did. the texture of changkyun's hand was soft, like him; a type of warmth radiated from himself, and kihyun almost tripped walking through the doors because his mind got so caught up in how nice it felt holding his hand, he forgot to lift his feet up a bit. perhaps, he should start paying more attention to his surroundings, instead of changkyun, so he could avoid future embarrassment.

when the two started walking down the stairs, they moved slowly. changkyun held kihyun's hand with both of his, scared of falling, although, kihyun wouldn't let that happen.

once they sat, changkyun placed his hands in his lap, just how he always did.

kihyun kept glancing at his hands, his head screamed: just hold his hand. but he couldn't bring himself to do it. it wouldn't be the same as guiding him somewhere because they were just sitting there. no need for hand-holding.

silence cloaked around them, begging for words to be spoken.

so, the dark haired boy broke it by starting with, "how have you been?"

"alright. yourself?"

"yeah, same."

more awkward silence.

then: "i missed you," kihyun's mouth was left gaped as he didn't quite predict himself to just say that.

changkyun's cheeks were buzzing in a subtle pinkness. "i-i think i missed you even more. i kept asking nayoung when we'd come back here, but she still had to rest, you know? then last night, she told me we would be here tonight. i was so happy."

he did think about kihyun.

shifting awkwardly in his seat, he probably didn't expect to blurt all that out, as well.

"i'm glad you're back," kihyun spoke softly, hoping changkyun could hear he was being sincere.

"me too," voice a whisper.

the amount of times kihyun had to tell his mind to stop with the heart-fluttering feeling whenever he looked at changkyun, was endless. it never seemed to listen. it want to constantly torture kihyun- maybe that was exaggerating it a tad. something good did come out of it, though; it was the reminder that beauty wasn't just found within the afternoon sky or music, it was also in people. the person in front of kihyun proved that.

"can i ask you something?" kihyun started, fumbling with his fingers, not entirely sure what he even wanted to say.

changkyun nodded.

"would it be okay if, you know, we hung out? like, outside the rink, too?"

"really?"

certain, he answered, "yes."

"then, yes," the boy smiled, turning his eyes in kihyun's direction. "it would definitely be okay."

changkyun gave his address, and kihyun typed it in his phone. what made it awkward, was that he had to ask twice. nerves were getting the better of him, which caused his fingers to trembled to some extent. changkyun didn't mind, judging by the way the smile never seemed to vanish from his lips, or the way his cheeks glowed in bright red. even the way he'd giggle lightly but wholeheartedly at the same time. it was beautiful. everything about him was beautiful.

kihyun wondered if he knew.

a/n: hello i rly appreciate it when people point out my mistakes but remember to be nice thank:--)