Chapter 1

I knew we had a new coach, but I had never seen her until now... When she walked onto the turf in our high school athletic facility my heart skipped a beat. I didn't understand why at the time so I got a confused look on my face.

"What's wrong Zoe," my friend whispered next to me after seeing my face.

"Nothing.... I just forgot something at home," I said distractedly.

"Alright ladies bring it in," the new coach said loud and clear, her voice like a sweet song playing a melodious tune.

We all rushed over to her. Her blond hair was back in a ponytail, the bottom layers of her hair were a dark brown and the top layers a beautiful blond. Her hazel eyes raked over us, taking in all the new possible candidates for her softball team. She looked to be about 24 and damn did she have a good poker face. I was normally good at reading people but her, I couldn't read at all.

"Alright, welcome to tryouts ladies. I'm Coach Warner, your new head coach. All I can say is work hard. Prove to me you deserve a spot on this team.

"Take two laps and get warmed up, then stretch and we'll throw."

I hadn't realized until after she turned to go talk to the other coaches that I had been holding my breath. I shook my head an took two laps with my team. I led the stretches along with another senior. Coach Warner had her glove on and I was too busy watching her out of the corner of my eye to pick a throwing partner.

"Do you have a partner," she asked me.

"No Coach," I replied as calmly as I could.

"Alright, looks like you're the lucky one that gets to throw with me."

I followed her to the end of the turf and we started wrist flicks. After wrist flicks we went to one knee and over exaggerated our throws and then we stood and began to throw. Coach Warner threw accurately and pretty hard and fast. I instantly knew that she must have been a pitcher when she played. I was a catcher so I knew a pitcher when I saw one.

"Alright ladies! Grab your gloves and take a position you want to play," Coach Warner said after we were all warmed up.

As everyone grabbed their gloves the coach spoke up again, "I need catchers and pitchers over here."

I grabbed my gear and ran over. I was one of only two catchers. Four pitchers ran over, including a new freshman. The coach looked us over and I thought I saw the corners of her lips turn up when her eyes met mine. I felt my face heat up at our eye contact.

"Alright, pitchers take turns warming up with this girl and you, come warm up with me."

She gestured for me to follow her over to the other end of the turf to warm up while the other girls took infield. I was revved up, I had to prove to her I deserved a varsity spot on this team. When she started going through her full pitching motions I couldn't help but watch her long legs. The muscles in her thighs bulged beneath her sliders and shorts.

I again felt my face grow hot, and somehow I still caught the ball. She went farther and farther back to get her arm warmed up and she let out a grunt as he released the ball and I nearly dropped the ball. The sound that came out of her mouth.... God.... I couldn't keep thoughts away of her above me, kissing my neck.... I missed the ball and it nailed my face mask. I fell onto my back and blinked in surprise.

I felt someone grab my chest protector and pull me up onto my butt.

"You okay," Coach Warner asked pulling my helmet off.

I blushed and nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I-I just got distracted..."

Warner raised an eyebrow, "What exactly distracted you?"

Now I was really blushing. "Nothing ma'am."

She smirked and helped me up.

"Just take a few more pitches and then I'll have you catch for me while I pitch to the girls."

I nodded and I forced myself to ignore the body of the pitcher in front me. I caught without another mishap. I moved with precision behind the plate when she gave the batter a bad pitch on purpose. Not a single pitch got past me.

The assistant coaches and Coach Warner were all talking at the end of tryouts. As I was talking to the varsity pitcher I shot a glance at Coach Warner and nearly fell over when I saw her looking at me out of the corner of her eye.

The coaches went upstairs into the conference room and called us out one by one in order of class. Seniors, juniors, sophomores then freshmen. I was the first one called in. When I walked in Coach Warner's eyes were on me and I felt heat rush through my body. She gestured for me to have a seat. I sat down in the chair diagonal from hers at the head of the table.

"Why do you think you deserve a place on this team," Coach Warner asked.

I swallowed as I prepared to answer.

"I'm a great leader on and off the field. I work hard in every practice and every game and I never give up."

Warner smirked at me and I felt my face to red again at the look she gave me.

"Welcome to the team Miss Kelsey."

~~

The next day I was making my way down the hall with my best friend Haylee. I had gone home after tryouts and crashed, thankfully I hadn't had a dream, because I'm fairly sure it would have been a dream about Coach Warner...

Our new trimester was starting and I had been switched into a new history class. Haylee was going on about her new boyfriend and I wasn't really listening. When we walked into our history class I stopped dead in my tracks, causing Haylee to smack into my back.

Coach Warner was sitting at the desk and as if she felt me looking at her she looked up and our eyes met. I felt as if a shock of electricity had just shot through my entire body. She gave me a small smile that nearly made me fall over.

"Come on Zoe! Get moving," Haylee said giving me a gentle shove forward.

I sat down and tried not to stare at the gorgeous woman sitting up front behind the desk. Her blond hair was down and straightened today, the brown bottom layers just barely visible, and she was wearing a simple white button up with a fairly tight black skirt that stopped just above her knees, giving the perfect view of her toned calves.

She stood after the bell rang and went to stand in front of her desk.

"Alright class! I'm Miss Warner, or even Coach Warner to some of you," she said throwing a glance at me.

"There will be a warm up everyday on the board so get it done!"

The class period dragged on.... I didn't want to be there... Her standing up front teaching was killing me. And then I remembered I had practice right after school... Ugh! I would have to be around her for another two hours! A part of me was excited about that, but then there was another part that wasn't...