Chapter 24

"Hide," I whispered to Jace.

"W-"

"Just do it!" I exclaimed, trying to keep my voice to a whisper. I opened the closet door and shoved Jace inside. He crouched down so he would fit, and then I closed the closet door, leaving him in a blanket of darkness.

I opened the door to see Sam standing there, pacing up and down the hallway. "Quinn!" he exclaimed when he caught sight of me. He ran to embrace me, squeezing me so hard I couldn't breathe. When he let go, I let out a breath of air, thankful that I could fill my lungs again.

"Hey, Sam," I gasped. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"I'm just glad to see you," Sam said.

"I'm glad to see you too." I took him in another embrace, this time so that both of us could breathe.

"Are you okay?" Sam asked.

"Not really," I said. "I kind of just want to be alone."

"Is it because of what I said earlier?" Sam asked.

"No," I replied. "I mean, I'm upset about that, but that's not the main reason I want to be alone. I just want to think."

"Okay," Sam said, obviously disappointed. I led him out of the hotel room, holding my breath. When he left and I shut the door, I let a breath out.

"C'mon, Jace," I called. I opened the closet door to let Jace out. A pounding sound on the door startled me.

"Who the hell is Jace?" I heard Sam's angry voice shout.

Oh shit.