The Father

March 28th 2006
It had been an emotionally and physically draining time for him. The thought of having to go home and talk to his wife and daughter, pretend like everything was fine, was too much for him. He loved them, he reassured himself of that as he walked aimlessly around the streets downtown. He was looking, looking for something to distract him.

April 2nd 2016
He stared at the phone in his hand. The number had already been dialed, all he had to do was press one button. One button, and he would hear her voice. If she didn't hang up, that was. He wanted to talk to her. He wanted to apologize for everything that happened that day and the days afterwards.

She had never forgiven him, that much was clear. He had missed out on so many things in her life, from getting to know her friends to walking her down the aisle. The only way he had found out about the marriage was by reading the announcement in the newspaper. He hadn't even known she had a boyfriend.

March 28th 2006
The woman approached him first. She was skilled, knew exactly what he wanted. Not having enough money for a hotel room, he brought her back to his house. It was risky, but worth it. Until he saw the girls heart break in two. He had never meant to disappoint her.

April 2nd 2016
In a blink of the eye, the number disappeared. He had waited to long, would have to redial now. With a sigh he pulled out the torn up little note that he had found slipped under his door that morning.

She needs you.
0672 4586422

Pausing after each press of the buttons, he began entering the number once again.

March 28th 2006
Explaining himself was pointless, she had already made up her mind. In that moment, he knew that it was over. She would never look at him the same way again. His wife was going to leave him. He would lose everything he had left.
She didn't come home that day. The next morning she was back. She packed her purple backpack for school as she always had. He waved at her when she walked out the door, she kept her head down, wind blowing through her hair.

April 2nd 2016
That was the last time he had seen her. Her mother left shortly after. They had agreed to keep it together for Rachel, once she was gone it all fell apart.

He missed them, both of them. He missed hearing them whisper in the mornings as she ate her cereal before school. He missed the morning kisses on the cheek they would both give him. He missed the way they would complain about the stubble on his face. He missed listening to them tell him about their day, constantly interrupting each other and talking louder and louder to capture his attention.

He had been looking forward to it for so long, and then he didn't even get a day of normal with them. If she needed him now, he had to help. He had to show her that he was still her father.
A tear had begun to run down his cheek. Wiping it away, he finally pressed the green button.

"This is Carol speaking.

Hello?

Who is this?

Hello?"