4

Last chapter, very short, thank you all <3

White. Empty. MC's mouth was sore, and it felt like cotton. His chest hurt. It felt light. The sheets he lay in smelled like lemons. Strong. Sharp. Hospital. MC could not feel his arms or legs. He heard is heartbeat. Quiet and steady. He felt it's calm pulse. MC felt confused, but let his thoughts drifting away. "It'll be okay." He relaxed.

...

"MC?" A low voice. Rumble. A hand on his wrist. "MC?" Voice tried again. Not today... I'm tired. MC felt the ache in his chest again. He felt hollow.

...

A mumble. "It's been a few days, sir. You should go home. His parents are here." "I'm not leaving." That was that then... rumble, rumble. The hand again. "MC?" A sigh.

...

MC finally opened his eyes to the sight of flower petals. He smiled. He did not remember that he had been coughing petals up only 4 days ago. He did not remember the significance of yellow roses. He did not remember that he had been in love with his best friend.

MC's mother slept in a chair beside his bed, head leaning back against the wall as daybreak fell through the sole window. MC smiled again, not worried. He didn't remember from anything after Hanahaki disease had hit him. MC's brain idled as he struggled to remember why he was here. What day was it? What had happened? Why did his chest hurt, and why was his mouth swollen? MC pressed the button on his IV for more morphine, and sat back against his pillows as he waited for his mother to wake up.

...

Saeran entered the hospital room slowly. MC was sitting up in bed, his mother talking to him softly, kind eyes deep with sorrow, bowls of black underneath them, a combination of smudged mascara and lack of sleep.

MC looked pale, paler than Saeran, his brown hair messy, ruffled. Saeran could still picture the black roses bubbling and blooming out of MC's mouth, but he had said nothing. During the surgery, doctors had been dumbfounded to find that a yellow rose had taken root in MC's lungs, and they had promptly removed it.

An unknown source had paid the hospital a large sum of money to keep the phenomenon quiet. Only the surgeons and Saeran, who had hacked into the hospital's security system knew about the of the wonder in MC's lungs.

Saeran walked into the room quietly, and MC looked up from his mother.

"Saeran," he beamed softly, eyes tired. Saeran smiled back, and MC's mother got up, taking it as her cue to leave the room.

Saeran decided against telling MC about his lungs. His best friend didn't remember anything... and it was better to keep it that way. Saeran would never know that MC had loved him either.

Somewhere across the city, Jumin looked at V as the photographer snapped pictures of clouds over the mountaintops. The cold, emotionless Jumin looked away as he coughed out a flower petal.