Chapter 6. Fears

Rogue swung around on his left foot to balance him on the ground to look at me. His teeth were biting into the cigarette as he stared at me. He didn't look a bit shocked that a 14-year-old girl was watching him smoke.

A puff of smoke escaped his mouth as he held the cigar in his left hand. I waved my right hand in the air to try and fan it away.

I didn't want to have anything to do with him or his habits.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked before dropping the disgusting thing on the porch and stomping on it. The fumes were still in the air and it smelt disgusting.

"That's underaged you know?" I asked him. I took note of how the lighter was still in his hands. He was fiddling around with it and I pursed my lips before looking back at him. He looked at me like I was crazy for having that thought.

That pissed me off.

"And? It's not like you're going to call the police, now, are you?" He asked me. His mouth formed a twisted smirk from what I could see through his hoodie. I didn't like that fact that he was wearing a hoodie.

It hid secrets that he could be hiding in there from me. Maybe, even more, things that would involve drugs or something that would bring me to jail. For all I knew, Sting didn't know that his closest friend was doing this.

This Rogue was bad news.

"You know what? You can have this." He said as he threw the lighter at me. I tried to catch it at an angle so I couldn't accidentally set it alight. It was a disposable kind of lighter you could see any old person would use for thins like religion or peace but for this?

It was a transparent green and it was half full.

Or half empty.

I looked at him in shock but he didn't seem that all fazed by his own actions. "It might come in use." He said to me before patting my back and pointed to behind me. I turned around after stuffing the lighter into my pocket out of panic and saw Sting coming down the stairs.

"What are you guys doing out there?" He asked confused. His light eyebrows furrowed inwards as we walked back in.

"I don't know..." I said in a suspecting tone as I walked towards the person I trusted more in this situation, Sting. "Getting to know that your best friend is an underage smoker," I said to him.

He didn't look surprised.

He didn't look shocked.

Just disappointed.

"Rogue, you just had to!" He said after a deep and heavy sigh. "Did you breathe the fumes near her? They are toxic!" He said like he cared. I don't know if he did care because if he knew that his friend was a smoker, why was he still friends with him.

I don't have anything against people who smoke, it's their life. If they wanted to ruin their body or commit suicide with. If they truly want to poison others with their fumes. If and when they found it addicting. Something about cigarettes must have made Rogue want to carry on.

But I don't want to know this time.

"Uh, sorry?" He shrugged. He didn't seem like he cared very much for what had happened. It was way more serious than he thought but it was way more exaggerated on our part as well.

"Ugh! Just go in the living room! Lucy, you go and do something about that smell, you don't want your mum to find out, do you? Or Jelllal, you know how much he hates smokers..." Sting said.

"I never told yo--I'll be right back," I said after running up the stairs.

Jellal hated smokers.

When he used to travel the country for blood and the geography of it. The thrill of the world through new eyes. It was a mistake. He was only 7 when he took off and he saw things that no 7 years old should have seen.

Ever.

He saw people smoking, he saw people getting abused, he saw poverty, he saw what was the opposite of what he was used to.

He was scared.

He had a fear.

The fear that all the people close to him would one day suffer from all these things.

______

BANG! THAT WASN'T THE PLOT TWIST I WAS TALKING ABOUT! BUT BANG!