Chapter 10. Day Care

"So which one?" I asked Natsu as I ran through the sheet with my finger. The teacher at student reception had written down some choices for us, but the thing is, we had to choose one now.

"I say that daycare one. I need to learn how to be a father for someone..." Natsu muttered as he circled it with a cyan pen.

"Who's that someone? Don't tell me you have a child?" I laughed shakily. I hadn't expected this when he came to hug me in the streets. Was that the reason he had come home?

"No, there's someone I like and there's another girl my parents want me to be with. So, for either one, I guess I'd have to learn to be a father, right?" Natsu asked. It was different. He hadn't really spoken like this to me, about girls or anything like that.

"Right..." I muttered and highlighted the daycare option. "Daycare it is, I'm hoping that I'd get to be great with children. They always stare at me cutely but I don't wanna do anything to them." I laughed.

Natsu wrote our names on the sign-up sheet and walked out with me. "So, we'll start tomorrow she said. All we have to do is keep out of trouble. Speaking of trouble, who has the magazines now?" He asked.

"I think Jellal does. He said he hid them on the rooftops, no one goes up there except for us. So it's ingenious!" I laughed. It was true, a pale boy walked up to Jellal's bag and stuffed the stack in there. Only when we got home had he realized he had them.

----N<3L----

"Isn't AC the hospital Levy works at?" Natsu asked as he saw the big sign at the front of the front door.

"Yeah, I guess they control this place too..." I murmured as we walked in.  Children were seated at different sections of the daycare. It didn't seem like they socialized very well here. Some of the groups of small humans were just minding their own business.

"I don't want kids if they're like this." I heard Natsu say out loud.

"Well, then, you're in for a tough future. You two are in charge of making them talk to each other. They end up crying from not being talked to, so...why not?" A member of staff came to us. Her name tag had red "Virgo".

I nodded as I headed my way to the arts and crafts area and sat down jovially next to the group of kids. They all looked at me expectantly. "No, no, carry own what you were doing." I smiled at them.

They all turned back around to carry on with their crayons and oil pastels. But they all turned back to face me. It was like they wanted to see me talk. "What, it's not like I want to draw..." I mumbled.

"You can daw, hewer!" (You can draw, here!) A child passed me a sheet of paper. A boy got me some crayons and I looked at them.

"You can talk to me just fine, why are you being so silly and not talking to each other? Don't you want friends?" I asked as I softly pinch the girl's cheeks from before. She grinned widely to show off her gums and I let go, to let her do her thing.

She walked up the boy from before and they both walked off to talk. "What about you lot? Or do you need help? What about a game?" I asked them. They all nod their heads and sit down in front of me. "Do you know Sleeping Lions?" I asked them. "It's when you all pretend to sleep but if we see you move, you become the judge. Last one sleeping wins a hug." I told them.

I laid out a few blankets on the floor so the 3-year-olds could lie down. I watched them, intently. Let's just say, when I played this...I won every time because I fell asleep every time.

"Mark, you have to get up, you can be a judge with me," I say after I heard a hum from him. He slowly got up and stood next to me. I took his tiny hands in mine and watched the others.

"You're doing well, how'd you do that?" Natsu asked as he walked towards me with a child in arm. He set the child down in front of us and let him wander around for a while.

"You know the game, we played it my house last night." I playfully punched his arm. He laughed before pointing out to Mark to "wake" Ben up.

The crowd of judges slowly built up and they were all talking to each other. It was pretty cute and they were all back at their art station but this time, talking to each other.

"Mwiss Wucy!" (Miss Lucy!) Momo came up to me with a shy grin. "I won, can I wave my hwug?" (I won, can I have my hug?) She asked.

I pulled her onto my lap and she hugged me. I wrapped my arms around her small body to engulf her. She was laughing into my chest as Natsu decided to join in on the hug. Momo pushed my chest slightly to loosen the hug as she turned to hug Natsu. I hugged around her back to reach Natsu.

It was amazing.

----N<3L----