11: First Snow Fall

The very first snow flake floated to the ground. Followed by another. Then another.

Abigail looked into the sky and let the snow flakes fall and melt on her face. "Beautiful. Ain't it?" Kendra said to her. "I don't like winter. But when ya look out into the distance and see nothin' but snowflakes, I just admire it." Kendra told her. "Yeah. How is it that the most dangerous places are the most beautiful?" Abigail said. Kendra smiled at her. "Good point." She said.

"Did ya talk to Hudson yet?" Abigail asked. "Naw. Not yet. I'm hopin' I get the chance soon." Kendra looked over at Hudson talking with Kyle. Kyle still wearing his dark blue sweater. "Do ya think he really feels the same way?" Kendra asked her. Abigail smiled and nodded. "Definitely." She assured. Kendra slightly smiled. "I hope y'er right." She said.

"And just like that." Hudson said. "You just fixed the rifle." He told Kyle. "Now you know how to check if a gun's jammed." He said. Kyle smiled and nodded. "Yeah. Thanks for helping me. If Clementine and Abigail died out there that day because of me, I'd feel terrible for the rest of my life." He said. "Well, good thing they're still here." Hudson said.

Abigail looked at Kyle. "I never did apologize for freakin' out at 'em, did I?" She said. "No, I don't think ya did." Kendra told her. "How 'bout this? I go apologize, and you go talk to Hudson." Kendra looked over at Hudson.

"Anything else?" Hudson asked. "Nope. I think that's all." Kyle said.

Kendra looked at her and nodded. "Good. C'mon, let's go before ya lose 'em." Abigail said to her.

"Hudson, thanks again." Kyle told him. "No problem kid." Hudson looked at Kendra and smiled. "Hey, Kendra." She smiled at him and said, "Hey. Wanna go f'er a walk?" Hudson's face lit up in a smile. "Sure." As they walked away, Abigail sat beside Kyle.

"Kyle, first off, I wanna say sorry f'er freakin' out atcha back in Yankton." She said to him. "It was just a long day and I felt like shit." Kyle smiled and nodded. "Don't worry about it. It was my fault that I didn't ask Joe or someone if the rifle was jammed." Abigail held out her hand. "Truce?" Kyle shook her hand.

"Truce." He confirmed.