Chapter 13

"Come on, Spence. Pick up. Please pick up," I muttered to myself as the phone continued to ring in my ear.

I turned it on speaker and set in on my desk before quickly changing out of Tony's shirt, praying Spencer would be able to talk. It had been way to long since our last conversation. I was so busy worrying about my issues with Ezra that I completely blanked on most everything else. I pulled a black sweater over my head and debated changing out of my jeans when I heard the phone line click.

"Hello? Aria?" Spencer's voice came through the speaker.

I picked up the phone, nearly tripping over myself as I did so, turned it off of speaker and held it to my ear, "Spencer?"

She easily picked up the panic in my voice, "Aria, what's going on? Is this about Ezra?"

I knit my brow in confusion. I didn't remember telling Spencer that he was in town. I meant to but after everything that happened I never got around to it, "Did Hanna-"

"Yeah, she told me. She said I would know what to do more than she would."

I laughed, of course Hanna would tell her. I was glad she had though, it meant I had less to explain, "Is that why you called?"

"She told me awhile ago, actually. I just figured you had enough going on and you would call me when you wanted to talk about it."

"Yeah, sorry Spence. I tried calling you first but you were busy. It's been a crazy past couple of weeks..."

"I know, it's okay. What happened?"

"He explained everything," I said plainly.

"And?"

"And it made sense. I believe him."

"So that's what your freaking out about?" she asked with disappointment.

"Not exactly..." I said nervously.

"Aria..."

"Well when he explained it he told me that he- he said that the night of the fire "they" gave him a choice. -A was caught before anything could happen to Wes but, Ezra was the one who dragged me out of the fire. He chose me over his own brother," I said softly, still in awe.

"Shit..." Spencer whispered, "So that's what you're freaking out about."

"Well..."

"Aria!" Spencer said frustrated.

"I know I'm sorry! Okay. After he told me everything we've been, uh... since then we've sort of been, hanging out."

"Hanging out? As friends?" Spencer asked unconvinced.

"Yes. No. Maybe..." I said with a sigh.

"Aria, what about Tony?"

"I got drunk on my birthday and Tony got mad at me. He thought I was cheating because I was getting distant. He left me alone in the middle of campus and I just started wandering. Ezra found me and took me to his apartment," I paused and heard Spencer let out a gasp, "Nothing happened! I promise, but after that night we decided we still wanted to be in each other's lives. Even if it was just as friends but, I can't keep lying to myself and everyone around me."

Spencer let it sink in for a moment, "Okay... So you want him back? I don't see the problem here... doesn't he want the same thing?"

I nodded despite Spencer's inability to see me, "He told me he still loved me. It was when I was drunk and I told him that I wanted him back but he said I wasn't his to have. He doesn't know that I remember that conversation. And I- I broke up with Tony tonight."