Sierra : II

[Unedited]

It didn't feel like a long time before the party, but I guess it was. Watching the waves and listening to the gulls makes me feel at home.

Pretty soon, Callie and I were on Mercy's doorstep, waiting for someone to open the door.

"Whaddyawant?" a man opened the door. He smelled of alcohol and... alcohol. Just alcohol.

"Um... is Mercy here, sir?" I asked. Callie sent me an approving glance.

"Why?" the man grunted, his eyes narrowing.

"We came to help with homework, sir," Callie butted in. "They asked for some help with the science project coming up."

"Or, maybe they're throwing a party and you don't have to lie to their dad about it," a voice came from behind us. Darien. He pushed past us and Mercy's father, letting himself in. Brant followed.

"What are you waiting for?" Brant asked us. "A written invitation?" Callie and I slipped past the horrifying creature that was presumed to be Mercy's dad.

"I've never done this before," Callie admitted, her voice holding no emotion (as usual). "In the books I've read that had parties, people always had to sneak past the parents. Or the parents just weren't home." That was the most I had ever heard her speak. Ever.

"My father's never home, what are you talking about?" Mercy joked. "Well, he is, but he's always drunk. I've never seen him sober."

"...Depressing," I whispered. Callie shot me a hard look. What did I do wrong?! Probably a lot of things, but what this time?

"Okay, what do you guys want to do first, fake sex tape or lame dance party?" Mercy asked.

"TRUTH OR DARE!" Brant screamed.

"That wasn't even-"

"TRUTH. OR. DARE."

"FINE, BRANCH!" Mercy yelled. "YOU CAN GO FIRST."

"Hmmm... SIERRA!" Brant called, pointing at me. Demisoed. "I dare you... to tell us about your family!"

"THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS, BRANCH! PLAY IT FUCKING RIGHT!" Mercy shouted. Brant groaned.

"FINE. Sierra, truth or dare?"

"Um... Truth?" I asked, slightly worried.

"Tell us about your family. I'm curious. Everything. Where they're from, what they're like, if they're alive-"

"BRANT!" Mercy screeched. "WE GET IT."

"Um... I come from a big family," I said. I intended to share as much of the truth as I could. "I had two sisters and a brother; I was the youngest. I don't remember my mom, and no one really talks about her."

"Talks or talked?" Brant asked,

"Brant." Mercy growled. "Let's not fucking interrogate her about her mother."

"Um... My dad was the head of the family. I lived with cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents. Like I said, we were a big family. I came from around the area of Mexico, and I don't exactly... live with them anymore."

"So... illegal immigrant?" Brant asked.

"No, just someone from the area. My family and I didn't get along, so I left and can't go back."

"Can't or won't?"

"Can't."

"How come?" Brant asked. I shifted uncomfortably.

"Brant, knock it off." This time, it was Darien.

"Okay, now it's time to get off uncomfortable subjects and film a fake sex tape! Yay!" Mercy shouted.

"Yeah, Mercy, take off your shirt," Brant joked. Both Mercy's and Darien's faces turned into a deadly weapon. Brant's face turned into one of instant regret.

"I-I-I take it back," Brant said. "PLEASE DON'T KILL ME AND USE MY BODY IN A SATANIC RITUAL!"

"I wish I had brought my book," Callie grumbled.

"FAKE SEX TAPES ARE BETTER!" Mercy shouted at the top of their lungs.

"WHAT WAS THAT?" Mercy's father shouted from the living room.

"NOOOOOTHIIIIIING!" Mercy squealed.