helena

He sat in the front row, head buried in his hands as he sobbed. His wife's casket sat in front of him, a corpse laid out in an elegant fashion in hopes to adopt an appearance similar to the living.

He listened to the priest ramble on and on about how she was in God's palace now, despite all her sins. He chuckled sarcastically, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. The skin was raw from wiping it repeatedly, over and over.

Every time he closed his eyes, he saw his wife. Coated in blood, bullet holes littering her body. The red liquid felt like it was still stuck to his skin, dry and flaking.

He remembered sobbing, clutching her to his chest and letting the tears flow freely. Her porcelain skin was dyed red, and her hair adopted a similar shade. He couldn't care less about the blood staining him, he was only concerned for his wife as he tried to stop the blood.

She was too far gone.

The sirens drowned out his screams and sobs as the flashing lights illuminated the dark alley.

The time to carry her corpse came all too soon, and he listened to the silence that hung heavy in the church. He pushed himself off the pew and trudged to the casket, mumbling a soft 'so long and goodnight' as he closed the lid. He took his place at the head of the casket, her relatives with names he hadn't bothered to learn filling the other vacancies.

They gently slid the coffin in the hearse, closing the door. He put his head on the glass, looking at the intricate carvings on the coffin lid. His hot breath fogged the window as his breath hitched in his throat, his cheeks a bright red as hot tears fell down his cheeks.

Huh.

Apparently he still had some tears.

He trudged to his car, the radio playing in near silence to create a white noise of sorts. His eyes were still blurry as he drove out to the highway, a small sob escaping his lips as he waged what he was about to do in his head.

He took a deep breath, making note of the big gap in cars. Another wave of tears fell down his cheeks as he took a sharp inhale, deciding.
"We'll meet again when both our cars collide..."

He slammed his foot down on the gas, bracing himself for the impact.