Chapter 3: Meeting With M

It was strange, but pleasant.

Maria and I never got to know each other that well back in high school. Even the first few weeks here went by and nothing too significant happened.

However, she became closer to me as time went on. It was strange, but pleasant.

It made sense, though. She needed me to slowly introduce her to FDU and I guess I was interesting enough to warrant her curiosity.

I didn’t have much experience understanding women, but I wasn’t an idiot. I could see what direction my relationship with her would take if left as is. It was in no way a bad thing….just something I didn’t see coming.

All the sex jokes and innuendos I’ve heard from my friends came to my mind. I knew why, but I was a bit embarrassed to admit it.

I had entertained the idea of it, but I decided to take it slow and steady. Coming from a family of mostly women, I knew how to tread women well. Especially a woman like Maria.

Still, it was only a matter of time before some other guy decided to take a chance. I was actually surprised no one had yet. At least no one I was aware of. My word of choice to describe her would be “beautiful”, but I’d save it for her to hear alone.

The chance to tell her presented itself very conveniently. During the last Friday of every month, I treated myself to a day in New York City and just explore. All I needed to do was ask her to come along. Not so hard.

The next time I ran into her, I asked her with confidence.

“Hey, I was thinking of heading to the city on Friday. Wanna come with?”

Right, not so hard, I thought.

“That sounds like fun. Let me see if I can make it and I’ll let you know. Text you later?”

“Sure. I’ll be around.” It wasn’t a no. A good sign.

I went on with my day as usual and by the time I got back to my room, fairly exhausted, I checked my phone. One unanswered message. From Maria.

I read it as asking, “When and where?”

I answered, “The bus stop in front of the library. 8 AM?”

A minute later, “Sure.”

I need to get me one of those Easy Buttons from Staples, I thought, drifting off to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked to be early when it came to doing things with other people. Gave me time to meditate. They say that good things happen to those who feel good. Quick meditation was a good way to get me into a good mood.

Because I was used to being alone and habit was a bitch to break, I let myself go deep into the meditative state.

“Well, Mr. Zen Master, are you all relaxed?”, Maria asked, coming out of nowhere.

I was surprised, but not startled. Definitely confident.

“Very. Helps to be in a good mood before going somewhere for fun. Speaking of fun, you ready?”

“Well, I don’t know if I’m ready for that kind of fun…”, she answered.

Woah. Where the hell did---?

“Kidding!”, she then said. She must’ve seen the look of complete disbelief on my face. It most likely…embarrassed her.

Now it was my turn to feel embarrassed.