Five

We were walking peacefully down the streets. I was getting my thoughts. I almost kissed Newt. Newt, a guy I just met. I don't do that. I don't almost kiss some guy. But Newt's different. He's shy, he's caring, he loves his creatures like a mother loves their child. Most guys only care about their business and their reputation. I don't know if it's just some crush or something, but my chest would start pounding more when he's near me. Like he is right now.

"I was watching you at dinner," Newt told Jacob.

"Because that's not creepy at all," I joked.

Apparently, Newt thought I was serious. "No. No. Not like that. It wasn't anything like that."

Jacob and I chuckled. "I'm kidding, Newt."

His cheeks turned a bit pink. "Oh." He cleared his throat before continuing. "People like you, don't they, Mr. Kowalski?"

Jacob seemed a bit surprised with his question. "Oh. Well, I'm sure people like you too, huh?" He smiled.

"No, not really. I annoy people."

"I don't think that's true," I said. "You haven't annoy me since the moment we've met. Did I think you were crazy? A bit. But not annoying."

Newt gave me a confused look, "Thank you?"

I chuckled. "It's a compliment, Newt."

Newt gave me a surprised look before looking at Jacob. "Why did you decide to be a baker?"

Pickett got out of my hair and went over to my sleeve. "Well, um, because I'm dying in that canning factory," Jacob started. "Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life outta you. You like canned food?"

"No."

"Yeah. Me neither. That's why I want to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy."

I smiled as I wrapped my arm around Jacob's shoulders while we turned the corner. "Sure makes me happy," I said. Pickett kept tugging at my sleeve. I looked down to see him pointing at Newt while making noise. I gave Newt a confused look. "I think Pickett wants to go with you."

Newt nodded before placing his hand out. I placed my hand out and Pickett jumped to Newt's. Then, he began pulling until Newt's hand was wrapped around mine. He crawled up to Newt's shoulder and began whispering in his ear. I don't know what he said, but it caused Newt to blush.

"He wants us to walk like this," He said. "So he could, um, switch from time to time without pulling on our sleeve."

I could feel my cheeks getting warm. "Um, uh...sure. If it, um, makes things easier for him." I looked behind Newt to see Jacob holding back a grin. I gave a nervous smile to Newt. "If - if it's ok with you."

He nodded vigorously, "Yeah, if it's all right with you." I nodded at him before we dropped our hands. I ignored the butterflies in my stomach when he laced our fingers together. I hope no one could hear my chest pounding. Newt looked at Jacob again. "So did you get your loan?"

Jacob gave a sad sigh. "No, I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long, apparently, I don't know," He said.

"You fought in the war?"

"Of course I fought in the war, everyone fought in the war." Those were the worst months ever. Sure Jacob and I would write to each other, but it wasn't the same as his presence being there. "You didn't fight in the war?"

"I worked mostly with dragons, Ukrainian Ironbellies, Eastern Front."

I scoffed, "Right, because dragons are real. What's next? We throw water at you and you suddenly melt?" Newt and Jacob were giving me looks. "Sorry, I'm still processing all of this." Before I lose it.