4

As fast as I can I storm towards Gemma and shut the door. That my reaction surprises her is written all over her face. Anne and Harry are staring with wide eyes, too.

Damn! How shall I explain my eager self? Of course the paps are there when I'm here. I can't leave as long as they mob the house. Before I can say anything or explain myself, Gemma speaks up.

"Probably the girls from the park did post that you're home after all." Her eyes are on Harry who nods in approval.

"I'm sorry Hayden", he says sincerely  as if it is his fault.

"Not your fault. I just leave through the garden?", I respond and even to me my insecurity is audible.

"I hate that", Gemma murmurs.

"It's just this bad when they know Harry is here. Mostly it's just one day and then they leave him be. At least at home. Actually they aren't even allowed to be here", Anne explains hastily, her voice almost skipping. I ensure them that it's not a problem at all even if it couldn't be further from the truth and head home through the garden. Thank God, the fence between our properties is low enough to climb over.

***

"What were you thinking?" I demand an answer but don't give him time to deliver one. Pacing through my room I continue:

"Why did you move me into a house next to the family of a damn celebrity who's stalked and surrounded by paparazzi? What do you think happens if I leave the house at the same time as him and get papped? I can't hide in my house forever!" When I pause to breathe, Sam takes the oppertunity and speaks up. 

"Hayden, please calm down. I ensure you have nothing to worry about. All pictures of the media of Holmes Chapel are monitored. If you happen to appear in one of those pictures you  get defaced. Moreover we placed you there strategically, because whenever Mr. Styles is home, his security isn't far, that means you get unknowingly  extra protection", he explains in his usual patient tone of voice. I'm not sure if it helps me calm down or infuriates me more.

"God, Sam, you couldn't have warned me? Him of all people?" In the end it wouldn't have changed anything though. Maybe I would have drawn the connection to Anne earlier and it would have saved me some nerves but still I couldn't have changed it.

"It's ok, Hayden. Don't overthink. He's a nice lad. We've got everything under control. If you feel watched, call me. Have a good day", he says and hangs up before I get another word in. As he brings up the topic of being watched my mind drifts to the teenagers in the park. Ha! Now I understand that they didn't watch me but Gemma.

Relieved I gather my things together and head out to get Ava from nursery school. The neighbours house is still surrounded by paparazzi so I keep my face down and hastily leave my property. The nursery is close by only like ten walking minutes which is good for me as I'm too afraid to drive just yet. I guess I should find a driving school to take some lessons. The left-hand traffic intimidates me. Seeing Ava smile as soon as I enter her group room relaxes me instantly and makes me forget about the little incident at Annes house. I'm just glad they didn't question my reaction further. In the future I need to give them a wide berth. No matter what Sam said, I need to be careful and can't risk to be seen with them.

On our way home through the idyllic streets we come across a store selling crops and gardening equipment. That's when I get the idea to start a vegetable patch to pass some time till I start to work. And self grown vegetables are supposed to taste better so we enter the store. Gardening is one of the rare things I used to do with my mom when I was a little kid and I want to pass this to my daughter. Roaming through the isles we put together a small selection of seeds. Ava spots a gardening tool set for children with a mini-rake and shovel and I add it to our cart I grabbed upon entering the store. On our way to the register I find some straw hats and take one for Ava and me. Mentally already in our garden, having Avas hand in mine I don't pay attention to our surroundings while waiting in line. So it comes as no surprise that I flinch when someone touches my shoulder.