{4} "She's so precious."

Chapter 4

IT WAS NOW Thursday and Lizzie was still home sick with a fever. My mom figured I should take her to the doctor just to get checked out. Lizzie getting sick wasn't that bad, but I couldn't take a chance and have Eli getting sick also.

I drove Eli to daycare this morning, quickly handing him off to Krissy, then driving off to drop Emma at the high school. She was a little bit early since I didn't have to get Lizzie ready this morning. Though, she hates having to be at school early since she'd rather be at home in her bed.

Typical Emma.

Since my mom had to go to work today, I had no choice, but to stay home with Lizzie. She had a fever and was throwing up last night, so I obviously couldn't take her to the daycare, and I had no one to watch her.

Lizzie was quiet the whole ride to the doctor's office. Usually, she was very peppy, but being sick takes the life out of her. I looked back a few times to see her dozing off with her head on her hands, legs sprawled out, leftover cheerios in her car seat.

Pulling into the parking lot, I turned off the ignition and moved around to see that Lizzie had fallen asleep. I shut my car door quietly and walked around to her side to get her out. She barely made a sound when I unbuckled her and shuffled her into my arms.

I locked the car doors, making sure to grab the diaper bag as well, and made my way inside. The receptionist waved me over to her as soon as I walked in. She looked as if she was in her early twenties, with curly blonde locks and bright green orbs.

"Please, sign her in. Then fill out this medical sheet," the blonde said, as she handed me the papers.

Giving her a quick nod, I signed the sheet and moved away from her as fast as I could. Moving Lizzie a bit, I tried to position the paperwork where I could actually write.

Full name? Elizabeth Kelley Hunter.

Legal Father? Elias Kade Hunter.

If not, biological? S/A

Legal Mother? ---

If not, biological? Bridget Melanie Clark.

Age and Birthdate? 2 1/2 years, May 6th 2013.

Health Insurance? Pediacare.

Allergies? Strawberries.

Reason for appointment? Fever, throwing up, coughing, runny nose.

Have you been here before? Yes.

Preferred Pediatrician? Dr. Harrow Knoxwell

The paperwork only took a mere ten minutes to fill out, Lizzie still past out in my arms. I brought the papers back up to the curly blonde, giving her a small smile. When I sat back down, Lizzie started to stir a bit.

Her eyelids flashed open and closed a couple times before she was fully awake. As soon as she regained consciousness, a small wail came from her throat.

"Daddy, my tummy hurts," she whimpered. Lizzie shifted a bit so she wasn't curled up in a ball.

I pulled Lizzie's small figure closer to me, her wrapping her arms around my neck. "I know, sweetie."

Another cry came from her thin lips. "I wanna go home!"

Resting a hand on the back of her head, I started running my fingers through her sleek, blonde hair. "We're going soon, baby. We gotta wait for the doctor."