Dirty B

*Keira's POV*

I woke up two hours before school began. Kayla was practically dead asleep, and I never felt more awake. I picked my outfit and took a shower. I did my usual hygiene stuff and dressed up. I toasted up some Eggos and scrambled a few eggs. I started up the coffee machine and poured myself a cup. I put Eggos in a brown bag for my snack and for Kayla's too. Mom went out of her room and saw me in the kitchen. I was reading an old newspaper article.

"That issue is seven years old, honey. We could pay for a subscription if you want to read the news." She said.
I giggled. "No, mom! Do you know why this issue is practically timeless?"
"Why, sweetie?"
"Because this issue was out the day Kayla was born."
"You kept that all this time?"
"Yeah, sure I did." I took out a clear book. "I have one for my sixteenth birthday which was when the entire family came together."
"Wow, sweets. That's amazing. Why have you never told me or daddy before?"
"Well, I kind of wanted it to be like an exhibit one day, if print still existed."
"That's beautiful sweetheart." I showed mom each of the newspapers I had for the next hour.

______________

*Jughead's POV*

I got up from my bed three to four hours before school started, as usual. I opened my laptop and for hours I wrote chapters to my various novels. I still didn't have a single novel that was going to be my legitimate school year project. Then I took a shower and changed to get ready for school. I fed Hotdog, and left him food and water. I grabbed my backpack and my stuff, left the house, and locked the door. I was going to take the car to school, when I realized that it really was only a walk away. Good thing I chose it, because I was able to catch a glimpse of that girl Keira.

Her hair was tied up and she was wearing ripped jeans, an orange blouse, and a navy blue coat. She had a camel brown messenger bag on her shoulder. She carried a brown bag, I assumed was her snacks and lunch. She carried a thermos and a clear book while eating a granola bar. She saw me looking, smiled, and waved. I said hi and went to her side of the street.

"You walk to school too?" She asked.
"Well, yeah. It's not too far anyways." I said. "So you excited for your first day?"
"Sorta. Just nervous with this whole transition thing."
"It'll probably be a piece of cake! What was your old high school?"
"I was homeschooled."
"Oh, I see."

She told me about herself. She came from a far end of Riverdale, where she was homeschooled all her life. She told me about her family's struggles financially which led them to the decision of moving here. I didn't want to tell her about my life in Riverdale, so as not to complicate anything we already had.

We had reached Southside High's grounds and she looked for something in her bag.
"What is it?" I asked.
"My Polaroid. I take photos of everything significant to me."
I nodded. She took a photo of the building, and put it in her bag [see photo above!]

Significant. I kept saying to myself. The day I met her, I heard the click of a Polaroid camera. Was I, Jughead significant to her? I was about to ask her when I heard Brandy's deep voice by the entrance of the school.

"Yo, Jughead!" He said. Chet snickered and Moira, his [Chet's] girlfriend handed Brandy two bucks. Once again, Moira won a bet.

I bid farewell to my newfound friend and went to my friends.
"What'd you lose to, Brandy?" I asked.
"Moira and I made a bet. Moira said you'd walk, I said you'd take the car." Brandy said.
"And I won two bucks and french fries!" Moira happily said.

We laughed and entered the school. We passed through the usual detectors and went to class early.
"I forgot to ask, Juggie. Who was that girl you were with?" Chet asked.
"New people in the neighborhood. She's nice."

________________

It was break time, and Brandy and Moira ran to the cafeteria to get Moira's fries. Chet and I waited for them and headed to our usual table. But what was so unusual was not the puddle of mustard on one of the seats, or the tissue scattered all over the floor, but the hazel eyed beauty sitting. She looked so peaceful reading from her clear book until Brandy approached her and said "This is our table." She gave a frightened yet surprised look and gathered her stuff. I intervened.

"No she'll stay." I told my friends.
"But Juggie," Moira interrupted.
"No, she stays. My word is final." Moira looked down at her shoes and sat down next to her. There still was a glimpse of fright in her eyes, and Chet, being my best friend, read my mind and reassured her.
"We don't bite, Dirty B." Chet said.
"Excuse me? My name is Keira, not dirty b."
"NO, NO! CHET REFERS TO PEOPLE ACCORDING TO THEIR HAIR COLOR. YOU'RE DIRTY BLONDE, YOU SEE?" I said, frantic.
Keira calmed down, and kept reading. She was feisty.

I digged it.