London Calling

One late morning, Belfast City Airport, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1977

"And remember to telephone me as soon as you get there," Mrs Brannigan took her teenage daughter Monica's bag out of the back of the Taxi as they both stood at the airport drop off. "Did you bring your friend Paula's birthday present?"

"Yes, mammy." Monica put her long brown coat on. "And the money, maps, my passport and the boarding passes."

"Alight." Mrs Brannigan waringly smiled and kissed her cheek, and soon enough a taxi pulled up behind them, and out stepped Monica's friend Paula McIntyre.

"Mo!" She squealed, and the two girls hugged.

"Hello Patsy," Paula's mum stepped out of the taxi after her daughter. "How are you? Aren't our wee girls becoming so big?"

"Oh I know, Sandra. I hope they'll be safe on their own in London." Mrs Brannigan anxiously watched them both line up on the kerb.

"Aye but London will be safer than Belfast," Mrs McIntyre said. "It's only for a few days and nights."

"I suppose there's more shops and places to visit that Belfast will ever have..." Mrs Brannigan sighed, referring to the turbulent times that Northern Ireland was currently experiencing.

"Absolutely! You have to let them go on walkabout at some point. They're not going to be here forever." Mrs McIntyre said to her reassuringly. "Anyway, how's the husband...?"

As the mothers of the two girls continued their conversation they were making some last minute check ups.

"Have you got something good to wear for going out?" Paula asked Monica as she pulled a strand of her thick light brown hair behind her ear.

"Not really... can we find something?" Monica confessed.

"Yes! We're shopping as soon as we get there!" Paula smiled, and Monica's eyes lit up.

"Ugh I can't wait to get out of here! We're going to London, Paula! Can you believe it?" She gushed excitedly.

"No! I can't!" She squeaked as they both jumped up and down.

"Alright, have fun you two!" Mrs Brannigan reluctantly opened her arms to them both, followed by Mrs McIntyre." But not too much fun!"

"We will, mum! Thank you so much!" They giggled before departing, and the two Irish girls headed towards baggage drop off with their trolley, feeling more grown up and independent than ever...

................................................................................................

"Look, Paula!" Monica's face brightened up as she looked out the plane window. "We're nearly there..."

"Oh yes!" Paula squeaked excitedly as she stretched over to look out. "I'm so excited!"

"A weekend full of shopping, museums, art galleries..." Monica mused. "You're going to have a great birthday!"

"And tomorrow night, I'll finally be 18 like you are! And that means we're going out!" Paula added as she put the airline magazine back in the seating pouch. "No limits! We're free!"

"Oh, right." Monica murmured. "I keep forgetting that we're going out."

Monica never really used to go out to parties or to the club very often like her friends, classmates and girls her age did. Not only was it not safe at night with British troops on patrol but she never really felt good or confident about herself like most of them did. If they were lucky they had the svelte figures, long sun-kissed limbs and alluring features like blonde hair and hypnotic eyes that all the boys at school desired, even her younger brother Lenny. While Paula had a few she didn't have any of those qualities. On the other hand she had Dark brown wavy hair that was tricky to control without straightening it, pale skin that burned when she'd try to get a sun tan, small lips and pale blue eyes that would look ridiculous if she ever tried making them up. And Monica's idea of fun was much more different to girls her age. She would happily give up an invitation to a night out for a quiet night in at home watching television and films, Top of The Pops especially.