Flashback filler-While I'm far away from you: pt 2

1977, Stafford Terrace, London, 8am

"You can't come home?

Monica sat sullenly on the edge of the bed, ears numb and mind at a loss.

"I'm sorry baby," Freddie sighed on the other end, "it's just... it's just another thing that came up and Jim forgot to tell us"

She still wanted answers. So far, through regular phone calls during the week Freddie had been updating her on how everything was okay and that there was nothing to be worrying about, no change of plan...

Until now, of course, when he broke the cheerless news to her that he wouldn't be coming home.

"What thing? I thought you were done with all the interviews and promotion?" She instinctively pressed, trying not to show that she was upset.

She stared into space, trying to figure out how she was going to spend her evening now that Freddie wasn't going to be home as initially planned. The whole week she'd craved his return, and without him his flat was just empty with grandeur and cats slinking around the place. She even planned to do the grown-up thing and cook a small meal for two, maybe even buy a bottle of prosecco to celebrate.

Nonetheless, she listened to him as he explained his reason why:

"...We are being interviewed for another TV programme tomorrow morning... a children's talk show this time"

"A children's talk show?" She murmured.

"Yes, a bit like Swap Shop over there... God knows why. I mean, children aren't even our target audience!"

She tried to lighten the mood, "Well, I guess it's Japan, isn't it? It's a country full of peculiarities"

Haneda Airport, Tokyo, 4pm

Freddie could already picture Monica's face falling on the other end.  Bruising her heart wasn't something he wanted to do.

He uneasily clutched at the receiver of the pay phone in his sweaty palm, looking at the queue forming behind him. It was sweltering indoors, so he didn't want to keep people standing around for long in the Japan summer temperatures either.

The other three boys and the crew were standing near the tail of the line of people,  waiting for him to finish his phone call and tapping their feet impatiently.

He turned back to the phone booth, "I suppose you're right, it is a strange country alright..." then earnestly said, "again, I'm really sorry, darling. I wish that this didn't have to happen while you were over there on your own"

He listened and waited for any sign of forgiveness.

"...Where are you right now?" She hesitantly asked.

"The hotel," he lied. "The band are meeting in the lobby for drinks and then we're all going out for dinner in several minutes"

"I'm not keeping you, am I?" Her tone grew concerned.

"Not really... am I keeping you though?"

"No no, I have a shift at the cafe after lunch"

"Ah, okay then... I bloody forget that you're eight hours behind, dear"

An awkward silence followed, so much to his relief she broke it, "Mum and Dad were going to post more things over by the way, so I expect them to be arriving in the post this afternoon"

"That's wonderful! Do you know how much?"

"Just a parcel apparently... they're leaving behind some of my things in my childhood bedroom though, like my school stuff" she said.