Chapter 29: Giggle Is a Nice Way of Saying It

Then, when Snape passed out books to the class for our instructions, I realized that I wasn't going to be just bad. No, I'm going to be horrific, because I can't read the directions!

Percy POV

"Umm...Professor Snape?" I called out tentatively. Ugh curse you dyslexia. No answer. "Professor?" I called out again, noticeably louder this time.

It worked; Snape noticed. Unfortunately, so did the rest of the class, who returned their gazes to me again.

"Anything in particular you'd like to say to me?" They turned away, their not-so-suble gazes exposed. I smiled to myself, satisfied.

It was only when Snape was standing right behind me did I remember that what had drawn my attention away in the first place. Dam, is my ADHD getting worse? I keep getting sidetracked. Wait, hold up....dam....ha.....hahahaha....Percy! Oh yeah, Snape is standing right behind me!

I turned around to face the teacher, who was in the middle of saying something. Oh well, too bad.

"I can't read this," I stated, gesturing towards the book. His lips twitched, almost as if he was amused rather than annoyed that I had insulted him. Strange. Unfortunately, before I could investigate further, his face quickly morphed to that of annoyance. "Why not?"he asks.

"Dyslexia," I mutter. "Excuse me?" "Dyslexia," I repeat louder this time.

"Does that mean I'm excused from class?" I hinted hopefully. "No," he said, obviously aiming for annoyance, but it was obvious that he was amused. Wow, that's a first. Why is he trying to hide it though? It's not like its going to make it obvious that he knows who I am by simply laughing.

Looking anywhere but at me, Snape waved his wand at my book before muttering a few words. I studied it, confused for a few moments, when I noticed it was in ancient Greek! Sweet  "You're welcome," the teacher said, before promptly walking away, off to observe other people or whatever.

Before he was barely a few feet away, however, I called out to him.

"Do I know you from somewhere else?" I questioned. But still he replied, "No". Thought you would say that. Let's see how you know me. "Do you know who I am then?" At this, the teacher turned around again. His silence was answer enough for me. I turned to my work then, pretending to be deeply interested in whatever it was we were making for a few seconds. Then I looked up at him. "Well? Do you have an answer for me? Because I don't remember telling you that I can read Ancient Greek. Maybe we can talk after classes end, yes?" If he knows who I am then... I pulled out Riptide in pen form out of my pocket, twirling it between my fingers. Ooooh this is fun.

Just as I had hoped, Snape's eyes had widened. "O-of course, I'm sure that can be arranged."

"Great." I returned to book, "reading", the instructions as I got back to the work that I was ready to work on oh so diligently.

The rest of that class passed quickly. Next I had Defense Against the Dark Arts. Harry did too, so when he saw me wandering around the halls aimlessly, he grudgingly agreed to take me to class.

The teacher turned out to be that toad face lady that Annabeth had said made the boring speech. I immediately knew that I wasn't going to like her class, and it turns out I was right.

As soon as everyone was seated, she told us to take out our books and put away our wands. Booooring. My views were reaffirmed when she announced that we would be following "a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic" which I quickly translated to: I will be killing you all in this class through complete and utter boredom.

However, five minutes later, one thing about that statement really stood out: "theory centered". Apparently what she had meant was that didn't intend for us to practice the spells we were learning; she just wants us to read about them. I could tell the other students were realizing that now too. Hermione raised her hand, confused.

"There's nothing in our books about using defense spells," she said, phrasing the statement as a question.

The creepy pink toad lady giggled, although giggled is a nice way of describing it replying, "Defensive spells? I can't imagine why you would need to use them!"

"We're not going to be using  these spells?" Ron cut in incredulously.

"Of course not! You'll be learning about magic in a secure, risk-free wa–"

It was Harry who cut in this time. "What use is that if we are attacked? Then it won't be risk free! How is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Boo hoo, lady, they've actually got a point. Everybody's eyes turned to me. I spoke aloud, didn't I? Oops. I did't think the teacher had heard me though, because she was still speaking to Harry.

"Who do you think would attack children like yourself?"

Harry scoffed at this. "Hmm, let's think. Maybe ... Lord Voldemort?" And probably plenty of other nasty people and things besides him. A second later, I realized what I had just did.

Oh gods, please not again...

This time the toads eyes turned to me, a sickly sweet smile on her face. She had heard me. Fortunately, I was saved by Harry, who was still pretty worked up. Or well, not really.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord, did he?" Harry asks, and this time, the teacher inhales deeply and hands Harry a note. "Thirty points from Gryffindor," she says. Pointing at me and Harry, she says, "Give this to the head of your house. You are no longer welcome in my class at the moment." I gather my stuff, and Harry does the same, not bothered in the least. Just as Harry and I are almost out the door she turns to us, making that creepy giggling sound again. "I'll see you later!" I shudder as I leave. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Harry do the same. For once, it seems we both agree on something.

Okay first of all, I'm so sorry I haven't updated in a long time, but I'm glad to hear that many people want me to continue. I will not be discontinuing this story :)

Also, recently, I have been getting a couple of comments telling me that Harry, Malfoy, and a few others are really out of character. I would appreciate if people would refrain from doing so henceforth, as it can be rude. I have not read Harry Potter since the third or fourth grade. My reading comprehension wasn't the best at the time, thus, I'm bound to make a few, or many, mistakes.

Finally, please vote and comment. I really appreciate constructive criticism as long as it is about how to better my writing and/or this story without being rude.