Chapter Ten

After my tour of the house, Lucian's sisters told me they were going out for gifts for him. I agreed to not tell him and they took turns giving me hugs before they left. Lucian's mother, Mariana, called us in for a late breakfast, but not before telling Lucian how he should've fed me before we left Manhattan.

"I'm just saying, she's a skinny girl, look at her all hungry!" She pointed at me with a spoon. "You're lucky your mama makes some good café con leche."

N/A- In case you're wondering, Café Con Leche is a small breakfast dish from Spain consisting of a small amount of strong espresso coffee with hot frothy milk and magdalenas, lemon-flavored cupcakes or sugary churros.

Lucian and I sat across from each other at a black marble island counter in the kitchen while his father, Diego, sat at the end reading newspaper and magazines. "Yes, you do, mama. Where's Sebastian?"

"I think he's out with your sisters, mijo. It's just us four until they come back. Are you ready for tomorrow? Don't tell me you still don't care about your birthday." When he didn't say anything, she looked at me which meant I was supposed to answer.

"He's warming up to it." I said to her before looking at Lucian with an amused smile.

"Speaking of Lucian, he's told me you're very intelligent." Diego spoke up, putting away his newspaper and looking at me. It was still amazing how much he and Lucian looked alike, he was just older and didn't have dimples. "He's said a lot about you. You've only been together for...."

"Four months." I calculated all on my own. Lucian nodded and added on. "Well, technically, we didn't start dating until after a month of knowing each other, which was at the time I'd hired her." He gave me a rare warm smile.

Mariana had served magdalenas and our coffee, café con leche, and they were very delicious though it was the first time I had it. Diego had to run an errand so then it was just the three of us. Afterwards, Lucian asked if he could go out to see a friend named Marco. Mariana agreed as long as he was back before lunch.

"Be back before lunch, I'm serious Lou. You have a habit of staying out too long." She said, though the Lucian I knew wasn't like that.

"Yes, madre. I promise I'll be back at twelve o'clock. That's in three hours, okay?" He gave her a short hug before walking over to me. "Bye, Peyton." He, again, caught me off guard and kissed my cheek before keeping his lips close to my ear. "Don't let it change anything." He whispered. I nodded and he left the room with his keys in his hands.

I could still feel the spot on my cheek where he kissed me lingering, and it was tingling, it made me blush. "You two are so sweet together. It's obvious you've just started dating. You're very shy around each other." Mariana said.

*****

Lucian kept to his promise and returned at twelve o'clock on the dot. His siblings came back with many bags in their hands and Diego hadn't come back. He said he had a work emergency and he'd have to miss lunch. Lucian's 4 grandparents had came downstairs to meet me and they were hilarious with stories about him. On Diego's side, Lucian's grandparents were named Esteban and Anna. On Mariana's side, Lucian's grandparents were named Felipe and Adria. All four seemed to be in their early seventies.

We spent time in the living room, listening to every story Abuelo Esteban and Abuelo Felipe could possibly remember. Lucian I sat next to each other on one couch while Mariana, Abuela Anna and Abuela Adria sat in another against the wall. Esteban and Felipe were across from us sitting on the arms of a lounging chair.