[sacrifice]

sac·ri·fice

/ˈsakrəˌfīs/
noun

》an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy《

》sometimes the most selfish thing you could ever do《

It took everything in you not to leap from your chair and implicate yourself. You couldn't believe it, Ethan couldn't be doing this. But he did, and you looked at him through the tears welling up in your eyes. He had confessed to doing everything himself, and in all official records, you were exonerated. This wasn't fair, how could he?

"Very well," the King nodded approvingly. "Now for your sentancing. Guards."

You had to cover your mouth with a hand to catch the whimper that came out as three guards grabbed him by the arms. Ethan remained upright and strong as they ruffly led him out of the room. As soon as the doors closed behind the group and cut off your view of his brown head of air, you sank back in your chair in defeat. He was going to be executed. You failed.

"Well," the Queen chirped, clapping her hands together once. "I believe breakfast is ready for us. Come, Y/N."

You were frozen in horror, still staring at the doors Ethan had left through.

Leo came to your rescue, grabbing your arm gently. "She was awoken early, she must be tired. I'll escort her back to her room."

"Now that's a wonderful fiancee!"

The Young Prince gently ushered you down off the seating area and through a different set of doors than Ethan had departed from. The boy was silent as he dutifully led the way through the halls. At your bedroom, he opened the door with ease, you'd forgotten to lock it in your haste to get to Ethan's trial. The fallen guards were gone, probably left their post after they realized what happened. Not like you really cared either way.

Leopold sat you down on your bed, and kneeled down to take off your shoes for you. You were staring hollowly at the wall, not complaining as he set them aside and came back with the empty dagger case. "They were taken to the armory, I believe. I can fetch them for you, if the Doctor says you're fit to have them."

You knew that Leo was referencing the last time you were like this, and nearly ended your life. Now there really was no point, the child wouldn't survive once the Queen found out about your pregnancy. But could you run away by yourself?

In your distraught thoughts, you had instinctually set a hand on your stomach and rubbed your thumb against it, as if the baby needed reassuring. It didn't know what was happening.

"Are you hungry? I'll fetch you some breakfast." Leo misunderstood your actions, and leapt up out of the room.

You laid yourself down on the bed, on top of the blankets. There was no reason to find comfort in things if Ethan couldn't. Tucking your knees to your chest, you tried to imagine him here, with you. You could hear his gentle voice whispering sweet nothings in your ear at night when he thought you were asleep; you could feel his lips lightly press against your shoulderblades; most of all, your chest still swelled with the painful feeling of being loved with every fiber of someone's being.

"Y/N, I brought strawberry jam on pastries. I-I remembered that they were your favorite." Leo's voice called out from behind you, and you could hear his footsteps approach the bed. "I also brought Dr. McLoughlin, he wanted to check on you."