t w e n t y n i n e

MY LITTLE SPEECH had worked. Mouse had gotten on board with our plans to infiltrate the walls. But it had worked too well. When she said "together" I assumed that it meant she would show us the way on the maps. Little did I know she meant to come with us. As I met his gaze from across the table, it was easy to see Triven was equally angry at me for not treating her more like a child.

Mouse had poured over the maps, her petite fingers tracing the city streets looking for something. There was understanding in her bright eyes, but when we asked her to show us the entrance she shook her head and signed. Together.

It clicked then for both of us. She didn't simply want to help us find the entrance, she wanted to come with us. No matter how hard we pressed her, she refused to relent. I even threatened to venture out on my own without her, but she knew the threat was useless. In one final attempt at intimidation, we set her before the council with the hope that she would buckle under the pressure. I hated the idea of sending such a small child to face a room of antagonistic adults— seeing as how even I found them intimidating— but the alternative was worse. If Mouse didn't tell us the location then we would have no choice but to bring her along. Just thinking about dragging her through the city where she couldn't defend herself made it harder to breathe.

Granted, I was not much older than her when I was left to fend for myself, but I had no other choice at the time. Mouse did. She didn't have to choose a life of bitterness and violence. She could still be a child and I didn't want to be the one to take that away from her. When I looked into her eyes I could see pain and fear from her past, but there was hope there too. That was something I never had and I would do everything in my power to ensure that spark of hope never faded.

To my frustration, however, a room of daunting adults didn't intimidate the child at all. Not even Arstid's sallow face held any power of coercion over Mouse. Part of me was proud. Most children would have been quelled by a room full of formidable adults, but not Mouse. She was stronger than she looked. I could see the determination in her frail features. She was not going to give in. As much as I wanted to keep her safe, to act as a parent to the small girl sitting beside me, I was not her parent. I was the person she had chosen to trust in this messed up world and watching her now, I finally realized it was time I trusted her.

"She should come with us." I said to no one in particular. My eyes were fixed on Mouse as she sat tall in her chair. Her head snapped towards me a grin spreading across her face.

"What?!" Veyron exploded from across the table.

"Lyra." There was a warning in Triven's voice that cut at me.

There was an upheaval among the council members, but to my surprise there were several members who met my gaze in agreement. One set in particular was the last I would have expected.

"She's just a child!" Archer slammed her hand on the table, calling my attention.

"And how old were you when you went on your first hunting party?" I challenged her.

She glared at me, "That's not the same thing. I had no choice."

"You're right you didn't. Neither did I, but Mouse does. And she wants to do this. Don't misunderstand me, I am completely against exposing her to what lies ahead of us, but I also must respect her decision."

"Her decision?!" Veyron gestured at Mouse in disbelief. "She's a child, this isn't about her decision."

I met Mouse's hurt gaze. It was the first time I had truly seen her for who she was. Hidden underneath the innocence I could see her now, the little girl who had seen too much. She was not me, not so irreparably damaged, but she had been hurt. That much I knew. I spoke quietly, making those still speaking stop to hear me.

"She is young, but she is not a child anymore. I get that now. You all know better than most how this city can steal your innocence. Mouse may be young, but she has still suffered here just the same as the rest of us. We need her strength and knowledge, and in return she deserves our respect."

Mouse grabbed my hand, her round eyes full of gratitude. I could feel Triven's disapproval, but he said nothing.

"As much as it pains me to agree with Lyra, she's right." All heads swiveled towards the severe voice. Arstid's hands were folded neatly on the table before her. "We're wasting precious time trying to extract information from this child. If she wants to risk her life, then that is her choice to make. We have laid in wait for nearly seven years and the time has come to take action. Supplies are beginning to run low and with the Tribe wars we have been initiating, this city has become a ticking time bomb. Right now we have the upper hand. Thanks to Triven,"— yeah, because it's not like I was there or anything— "we now know The Sanctuary has the Ravagers in their back pocket. Ultimately we are out-numbered and out-gunned. The only advantage we have is surprise. We have managed to lay low for the better part of a decade, but that invisibility won't last for much longer. We need to strike now before we are discovered."

Even though several members still looked mutinous, no one spoke against her. Not even Triven. When no one disagreed, we began to formulate a plan.

******

Yooo! Updates in new story will be given soon enough!! Have fun and enjoy the chapter!