Chapter 3 - The Great Hall

It didn't occur to Luna that maybe she should have sung for Draco until she was sitting in the Great Hall the next day, watching Draco storm in. He was clearly having a hissy fit, and he had yet to make a single comment about her hair or outfit. She almost missed it.

It wasn't that she had been deliberately trying to avoid singing for Draco, it was just that he kept asking her all these silly questions like whether or not Neville knew she could sing or if any blokes had ever looked at her 'indecently'. Honestly, she'd found the whole encounter unspeakably entertaining and was now quite concerned for Draco's we'll being. The way he'd switched topics so fast clearly indicated a Fanged Fluffdrag infestation in the lower left half of his brain.

However, despite her concerns, Draco had refused to listen unless she sang, and if there was one thing (possibly the only thing) that made Luna angry, it was Draco Malfoy pretending he could waltz around ordering her around when he his mind was clearly controlled by Fanged Fluffdrags. So, instead of just singing, she talked circles around him.

Talking circles was a particular talent of Luna's. It was quite simple really. A person said something,and then Luna responded with a comment about a new breed of Nargles she had read about recently. From there, the conversation often spiraled into the depths of what Luna knew about Nargles or her partner simply walked off muttering to themselves.

Draco had been more stubborn than most. Every time Luna tried to speak of his Fanged Fluffdrag problem, Draco mentioned how he had read that a Fluffdrag enjoyed the sound of singing and would often leave its victim just to listen. It had been maddeningly accurate. In fact, Luna would have been sorely tempted to try and fix Draco by singing if Draco had not had to audacity to demand that Luna help him.

Luna was very proud to say that she was like Hermione in her determination to have people use their manners when speaking with her. It made no difference if they were awful behind her back, but it took a certain kind of rude to refuse to say 'please' to someone's face.

And so, without really thinking it through, Luna calmly informed Draco that she would sing to him only when those blasted Fanged Fluffdrags sorted out their priorities and asked nicely. Then, she'd hopped off her branch and wandered back in the direction of the castle.

Now, almost a full day later, Draco's Fluffdrag problem seemed to be worsening. He was in a frightful mood, storming around the castle and grounds. He'd even knocked several off his teammates off their brooms during a Quidditch practice. Luna had seen him trip a third year this morning, and then burn the poor boy's robes. Granted, that behavior was semi-normal for Draco, but it was odd that he hasn't helped the boy up and fixed his robes once the other older Slytherins were finished laughing.

That was one thing Luna had always found strange about Draco. He could never sort himself out on whether to be cruel or kind. It was dizzying how quickly he went from malicious to grudgingly accommodating and then to threatening. This year alone, Luna had seen Draco do the same routine thirty-seven times. First, he harmed a younger student in the presence of several Slytherin. Then, once all of Draco's friends were gone, Draco fixed the younger student back up and often helped them carry their things to their next class. Then, at the door, Draco threatened to do them serious harm next time if they ever told a soul.

The whole routine was really quite daft, and Luna had to wonder if Draco hadn't been suffering from a Thunderwisp attack during his entire school career. Keeping that in mind, Luna decided that it was time to offer her help again.

She waited outside to Great Hall for Draco to walk by. Experience proved that if she stood in one place long enough, Draco would arrive and compliment her. Her personal favourite was, "Loony, that's a lovely shade of vomit."

Make no mistake, Luna knew that Draco meant to hurt her feelings every time he opened his mouth, but there was something about the way he glanced over his shoulder after walking away that made her think that maybe he was checking to see if she was alright. Or if she was going to curse him. Either way, he cared a little.

So, Luna sat but the wall for a good twenty minutes before she heard Draco's signature drawl coming from the Hall. He was walking to the doors with his friends, Blaise and Pansy. They were discussing what Luna assumed was a small mammal and some loo fixtures, because Blaise and Pansy kept referring to a 'Weaselette' and 'Potty'. Every once in a while, Draco would scoff at the topics. Maybe he didn't appreciate the fine art of keeping a small mammal in a loo. It was not for Luna to judge his artistic beliefs.

Instead, it was for her to offer her help. So, she stood up,dusted herself off, and waited. Draco round the corner, stopped short, and scowled. Blaise ran in to Draco's back, then Pansy hit Blaise. It remind Luna of an old video Hermione had shown her. Something called a Pongo line or a Bongo line. Something like that.

Draco recovered before his friends and kind of whisper hissed, "What are you doing here?"

Luna whispered hissed back because it seemed like the polite thing to do, "I'm waiting for you."

Draco's scowl got darker while Blaise's eyebrows shot up into his hairline and Pansy turned purple trying to hold in a laugh. Luna looked at all their faces and decided to help Draco out.

"I remembered you had that little problem yesterday when we were talking in the forest and you were trying to persuade me. So I came around today to let you know that if you managed to ask nicely, I might be obliged to help you out. We can do it in private if you prefer to not let anyone know."

Pansy lost the battle with her laughter. Blaise stumbled backwards and slid down the wall, holding his stomach as he laughed. Draco stood stock still with his mouth hanging open. Since none of them seemed ready to answer her, Luna shrugged and walked away. As she turned to corner, she heard Draco yelling, "She didn't mean it like that! As if I would ever-"

He was cut off by more howls of laughter from Blaise and Pansy. Luna smiled to herself. It was good to know she was making someone's day a little happier.