Chapter 6 - A Conversation in Class

Luna was sitting quietly in Charms, staring out the windows dreamily when the parchment on her desk suddenly raised a corner and slid along her finger, giving her a stinging paper cut. Luna turned her head slowly and tilted it to the side, considering her blood on the edge of the page. It was a stunning contrast between the deep red and the slightly yellow of the page. Truly something she'd like to remember for a long time until she could find the right paints to save it.

With her observations done, she turned back to the window. She paid no mind to the exasperated sigh behind her, and she didn't even flinch when the paper cut her again. To be perfectly honest, she was quite used to her paper cutting her during random intervals of the day. It was often the result of what she chose to believe were stray charms. Either way, it did no good to acknowledge them, let alone dwell on them.

Draco Malfoy was rather frustrated with Luna. He'd never had this much trouble getting a girl's attention. Did she not feel the cuts? All of a sudden, Draco was ashamed of himself. Even without the fact that he was causing bodily harm to someone particularly innocent, it was like he'd reverted back to being a first year trying to get the attention of a girl he fancied. That was no way to treat someone he considered to be almost his employee at this point.

But she's not your employee, you git, his brain hissed, she is a girl you fancy. And you're being a right prat about it. You should be ashamed! You don't cut someone to get their attention! Have I taught you nothing?!

Draco really hated when his brain was right. He also hated that what he once considered his cold and calculating brain had turned to mush and conscious. It was not the Malfoy way, but he had to admit that it was right in this case. He should be treating Luna better. Draco refused to admit to himself that it was because he couldn't bring himself to hurt her. The official reason was that Luna was going to sing for him, and the least he could do was be civil. That was a plausible reason, right?

Luna felt something completely unexpected. Her paper was brushing her cheek gently, pushing her hair back and running down from the corner of her eye to the end of her chin. It was a ticklish feeling, but much more pleasant than the paper cuts. She turned halfway around in her seat immediately to see who was so horrible at charms that they'd accidentally caressed her face.

Three desks behind and two rows over, Draco was staring at her intently. He twitched his wand and the corner of her page pushed on her chin to turn her forward again. Luna offered him a large, dreamy smile and felt the page falter a moment as she faced the front of the room again. Her paper tapped the back of her head and then settled on the desk right in front of her. She stared at it, and words began to appear as she watched.

And elegantly slanted script said, We need to develop a schedule for practice.

Luna picked up her quill and wrote back in blocky letters, Who is this?

Who do you think, Loony?

Well, frankly, I'm hoping  for a high-functioning Rassper.

No.

Then....Draco?

Well done! Would you like a biscuit for being such a smart bird?

Actually, I would love a biscuit if you have one.

No.

But you offered me one.

Just.....forget it.

Forget what?

Forget that I offered you a biscuit.

You have biscuits? Can I have one?

Draco didn't answer for a long moment and when Luna turned around, he had his head down on his desk like he was asleep. Luna shrugged to herself and tucked the page into her bag to save for later when she needed to contact Draco again. As it was, she much preferred her own methods of conversation. 

* * *

Draco was dead. Completely and utterly. It was for the dumbest reason, too. What kind of Malfoy was defeated by a biscuit? What kind of Slytherin was defeated by a Ravenclaw who was acting particularly daft? His father would never forgive him if he knew.

Draco was just getting started on his inner monologue about why he'd failed when he noticed a small blue mouse chewing a hole in the cuff of his pant leg. Draco made a small noise in the back of his throat and shook his leg, dislodging the creature. It came right back and started climbing. Draco froze and watched as the creature of his nightmares inched ever closer to his face. He was about to scream bloody murder when the mouse jumped from Draco's shoulder to his desk. There, it proceeded to collapse and flatten itself until it was a vaguely mouse-shaped note that read simply, Room of Requirement. 9:30. Bring music and a jumper.

Draco's eyes shot up to see Luna go back to staring out the window, just like nothing had ever happened, but Draco couldn't help but think that maybe her eyes weren't as vacant as he'd thought they were.