Wattpad Original
There are 12 more free parts

Prologue

THIS STORY NOW HAS A SPOTIFY PLAYLIST LINKED. Each song was carefully selected for each chapter to make for an exciting reading experience. Find the playlist linked to the story description or at the bottom of your screen.

*

London, 1901

It wasn't until the sun began to lighten up the sky with its rays piercing through the curtains that covered the window, that Ethan began to feel the weight of staying up all night sink into his rigid body.

He glanced at his fingers and flexed them, as a soft yawn escaped his lips.

Deciding that he was too tired to go up the stairs to his now-empty bed that no longer possessed the sleeping beauty with a long, straight mass of dark brown hair, or the warmth that her body provided, he brought his head to rest on the massive mahogany table before him and pulled his eyelids closed; he would sleep for about an hour, giving in to the darkness and illusion of peace that his slumber would create. Then, he'd be jolted awake by an invisible alarm clock set to go off in what was left of his broken heart.

Ethan would never concede to being heartbroken out loud but deep down, he knew he was. Being shamed by the woman he loved was one thing, but being pitied by his servants was another. Ethan Williams was a rich, powerful, twenty-eight-year-old man with land and vessels spread across England. He would have a lot of things, but he was never going to have pity.

Somewhere in the midst of his disheveled mind, he must have drifted to sleep because he was suddenly jolted awake by the banging and shaking of the massive wooden door that managed to keep him locked up in his study, away from the prying eyes of his servants and the desperate hands of the town's spinsters – he frowned as the image of the pesky mothers and their highly annoying daughters flashed before his eyes. They had all begun vying for his attention since the news of his wife's disappearance spread around town like wildfire.

The continuous banging on the door was powerful enough to jolt him back to the present. With a sigh, he pushed his aching body to its feet and slowly began walking toward the door, deciding to scold whoever it was that was bold enough to disturb him. He imagined that his constant sour mood since his wife Juliet's disappearance had made it quite clear to his servants that he wished to be alone.

Releasing the latch that secured the door, he pulled it open, the weight of the door almost proving to be too much for his weary body. He stepped back as the door gave way, revealing Jacob's aged face. A small frown immediately pulled on the edges of his brows as he took in the butler's disheveled appearance; his silver hair stuck to his wrinkly forehead, held bound by the liquid that was now dripping off of his face. His blue eyes spoke of urgency and while he stood before Ethan with his hands clasped before him, seemingly waiting patiently for the command to speak, he seemed rather anxious to make his mission known.

Ethan nodded once, giving Jacob the opportunity to address him.

"There's a problem, my lord," he said. "A child was left on the front porch. No one knows at what time this event occurred but the maids were left with no choice but to bring her in, considering the intensity of the late night's rain."

Ethan blinked, confused. He heard Jacob clearly–perhaps too clearly–but his mind seemed unable to comprehend the words being spoken. A child; it was the most absurd thing he had heard his entire life.

He rubbed his throbbing forehead. "This child was abandoned?" The words barely formed on his lips, confusion and fatigue making it nearly impossible to speak as his eyes searched Jacob's for signs of foul play. It was true that the butler had worked for him for five years and proved his allegiance in those years, but Ethan couldn't help the feeling of suspiciousness.