10

She woke up with her head aching, eyelids heavy, and she was afraid to open them

She woke up with her head aching, eyelids heavy, and she was afraid to open them. Still, she opened her eyes slowly, frightened thinking what she might see.

The first thing she noticed was a white wall. She was lying on a bed. A machine making an annoying monotonous sound and a disgusting yet sweet medicine like smell. The smell of hospitals which she really hated.

She tried moving her eyes around. Her head gave a sharp pain and she shut her eyes close for a moment then opened them again. She tried to rise up and realized there were several patches on her face. Bandages covering her arms and legs.

Jungkook was sitting in front of her. Watching her with a lost look on his face, the same look he had on him when she fainted. "Are you okay now?" He asked with his deep voice low.

She stared at him blankly. Was he really there? Or was it just her imagination.

"Your aunt and uncle are here. They will come soon," he whispered for no reason.

She kept silent until she spoke after a few quiet moments.

"I... I thought you said you came back from coma after three weeks."

Her voice sounded hoarse. It was hurting even to talk. He couldn't be her imagination, he just couldn't. Everything about him felt real. His existence felt real.

He blinked watching her. He didn't think she would catch on this fast. Sighing, he balled his fists. This was going to be hard to explain.

"I did came back. But I died later," he paused for a second.

"Three years ago I died in a bus accident. 18 people including 17 passengers and a passer by died. I was the passer by."

Her world spun around and she felt out of breath. She couldn't scream 'I don't believe you,' or 'stop joking' even though she wanted to. Because inside, somehow she knew what he saying was true.

"It was a tragic accident and people mourned for days. Candles, memorials, they left so many things. I remember you visiting with other peoples including my parents." He continued.

"I remember because I was the only one who got left in that place. I was the only one who had to stay after the accident."

Silent tears escaped her eyes without her realizing, as she watched him saying everything as he was looking down on his fists. He looked so real, yet he wasn't?

His name. Did it feel so familiar because his name was written everywhere in newspapers and tv channels when they showed the dead's names? Her eyes glanced over that name so many times when they showed her mom's name with the others.

"Why?" She asked with her voice shaking.

"I..in my case it wasn't an accident." He clenched his fists so hard that his knuckles turned white.