Scuttlebutt island

Fireworks lit up the night sky marking the beginning of the festival. Music boomed loudly the beats mixing with the excited chatter of the Gravity falls townsfolk.

I watch the fireworks from my place at the drinks taking a sip from my beer, a few feet away my sister Mabel jumped onto a nearby table using a modified t-shirt canon to shoot confetti over everyone's heads. Candy and Grenda cheered and joined her grabbing some cans of crazy string and streamers tossing them over the crowd. Wendy had joined in spraying the girls with two cans of crazy string, all four of them were covered in different colored strings. Dipper chuckled and drew their attention, they glanced at each other before smiling at me.

"Uh oh" I put down my drink, I started running. The girls chase after me; the first person catch up to me was Wendy, she closes the gap between us with one leap, we fall to the ground

"Give up Dipper we have you" Wendy said faking a manly voice. My sister and her friends stood behind her holding the spray cans like fake guns, each one wearing a "Serious" expression

"Never" Is all I said trying to keep from smiling, Wendy points her can at me

"Then you leave us no choice.Ready girls? .Aim. Fire!" In seconds I'm covered in cold, colorful silly string. The five of us start laughing hysterically, after five minutes our laughter died down. The girls helped me up and I dusted myself off. The crowd hushes down as my great uncle Ford starts to speak

"Three years ago today Weirdmaggeddon ended as well as the end of Bill Cipher's dominion over our world ..." At the mention of the demons the crowd booed and spat, I left not wanting to hear it. Mabel tried to stop me, but hesitated. I went into the shack Ford's speech becoming muffled as I closed the door. 

I went upstairs to me and Mabel's old room the light coming from the single triangular window. Sitting on the floor, I looked around the room. The space where our beds were held, and old furniture that belonged to Zeus who kept it here after his grandmother passed away. So much had changed since  weirdmaggedon ended. The shack was a shelter for people like Zeus and many other townsfolk who'd lost their homes. 

During that time everyone rebuilt gravity falls, and all over the world people were helping one another to rebuild destroyed cities. Great uncle Stanford now worked for the government as a researcher of the paranormal. He often went on expeditions; with my great uncle Stan, the two had traveled for months before coming back for the first year anniversary of the end of Weirdmaggeon.

Minutes ticked by and the end of my Uncle fords speech was marked by cheers of "to the end of Wierdmageddon" and "to the end of Cipher". I felt a pain in my heart, biting back tears. He was histories worst tragedy. To everyone else his coming to earth was a disaster; to everyone else, but not to me. I heard footsteps approach me, I look up. There standing in the doorway was Ford.

"Hey, Dipper" I said awkwardly running his hand through his greying hair.
"I um, I saw you leave during my speech, and I ... Well I just wanted to see if you were okay" I stare at him blankly then turn away.

"I'm fine" I go back to staring at the window. After a moment Ford clears his throat.

"Uh ... How's college? I heard you got a scholarship." I nod my gaze on the night sky. Ford sighed.

"Look Dipper, I'm not good talk small, but it's been to long since we last spoke ..."

' T here's a reason for that', I thought bitterly.

"... Maybe you could follow me on my next adventure, there's been rumors of supernatural activities on Scuttlebutt Island recently, it might just be small talk but I think it's worth checking out" I try to keep my face neutral as I look at him, but my eyes must have given away my interest since Ford smiled at me.