Pitch Black

It's dark, pitch black. No light shines through the window in the room ahead. The pale moon obscured behind heavy clouds. A singular source of light, the flickering candle in hand. You blow it out, not wanting to disturb the other occupants, and wait. Hoping your eyes adjust to the darkness. Slowly outlines and the vaguest suggestion of shape become visible. Stumblingly you navigate the room. Seven beds line the room, soft breathes can be heard from the people within.

One of these beds belongs to you, for the night. Eizen had given you shore leave for the first time in a long while. You'd asked to sleep in a hotel nearby. Longing for a soft bed with sheets, having spent countless nights in a hammock. An unexpected bonus was the washroom. While nothing too fancy, the space itself, heaven when compared to the accommodations aboard the Van Eltia. Unable to resist temptation you'd taken a long bath, soaking all the grime off your body. Unfortunately time had gotten away from you...

Upon your return, to shared quarters, the rest of the group had retired for the night. Now you find yourself stumbling in the dark and loathing every second of it. Visibility makes finding your bed neigh impossible. Your fingers touch lightly against the wooden footboard of bed number one. Peeking below an outline is visible under the sheets. This bed is occupied. Undeterred you continue on fingers reaching clumsily for the second footboard, again it's occupied. The trend continues until you reach the sixth bed.

You hesitate uncertain, there is no outline of feet under the sheets closest to you. Light breaths can be heard in the next bed over... This is yours. Quietly you sit on the edge and place your burnt out candle on the night stand nearby. No sooner had you Swung your legs under the sheets, than a cold blade presses hard against your throat. Frozen in terror you sit motionless with your mind racing. Who could it be? Velvet, Magilou, Laphicet, Rokurou and Eizen had all joined you ashore.

The arm around your neck feels too solid to belong to Velvet. Her muscles are wry and slender, like tightly wound wire. Laphicet and Magilou fight with cards not standard melee equipment. Besides the young boy would never draw a knife on anyone... Magilou has no muscle to speak of, being a mage, overpowering her would be simple. The arm holding you is much too strong to be hers. That leaves Eizen or Rokurou, but which one is it?

"Don't move." A man growls, voice cold as ice, against the shell of your ear. The blade bites a bit deeper. Your back arcs, against the man's muscular chest, trying to escape the weapon's sting. An arm snakes around your torso gripping your wrists like iron. Pain shoots up your arms and an unintended grunt passes your lips. A chuckle rumbles inside the figure behind you Bloodlust... An eerie red faintly ghosts your shoulder. "You've got some guts sneaking up on me like this. But your time is up." The playful tone of his speaking voice darkens but it's enough. You recognize the pattern. Rokurou!

You whisper his name in panic waiting for the blade to slit your throat. But it never happens, ever so slowly, the weapon is drawn away from you. A 'clink' sounds as the blade is sheathed. "Ah~" Rokurou whispers your name playfully. "You should have told me it was you. A second later and you'd be dead!" His carefree manner has returned and the red glow subsides. The warrior releases his grip on your arms. "Sorry about your wrists, do they hurt?" Genuine concern laces his voice, the softness of it makes your heart skip a beat.

It takes a moment to find your voice and you whisper so softly you're not sure he can hear you. "A little, but that's alright. I did surprise you unintentionally...." Your voice trails off, now keenly aware of Rokurou's body encircling yours. He's really warm. No, stay focused! You speak again more determined this time. "I was looking for my bed... Since this is yours, I'll keep searching. I'm sorry to have disturbed you." You move to stand up but Rokurou wraps his arms around your torso stopping you.

A squeak escapes your lips as he pulls you down further, into a laying position. The man whispers in an, unusually, serious manner. "Stay. Better you're with me, than accidentally end up in the bed of The Reaper. His curse might kill you outright." There's a bite, a hint at jealousy in his tone. He buries his head in the crook of your neck and his grip tightens slightly.

~

An image of Eizen pops into your mind. The 'Cursed First Mate's' sullen expression as he stares out to sea with pale blue eyes. Rokurou and Eizen had saved you from a rampaging Daemon in your hometown. The town was destroyed and you were left with nowhere to go... The men offered for you to join them but their leader 'Velvet' wouldn't agree with the notion of having you along. Especially because you were a mere human. The fearsome Therion saw only a hindrance to her plans. The men, however convinced her.

Strict rules were set. You would remain onboard the ship at all times and work like any other deckhand to earn your keep. You would not join the group on their 'missions' at locations docked. No one had time to watch out for you nor Velvet the patience. If you should be off board, upon their return, you would be left behind at that location forevermore. The crew would not wait for you. This was your only chance, you agreed to their terms on the spot. There was no turning back.

Before the ship set sail, you were, begrudgingly, taken as a member of 'Velvet's Revenge' in Magilou's phrasing. Ever since both men have been extremely protective of you.

Though Eizen is protective, in his own way. The man always strives to keep distance between you by acting cold. Rokurou, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. Warm and nurturing like the sun's rays. Ubiquitous and placid, the warrior, always keeps your spirits bright. The two of you were drawn to each other often you'd find yourself standing before Rokurou or he would end up by your side without conscious thought. It became an in-joke between you, eventually changing into a much sought ritual.

You'd spend the long hours abroad the Van Eltia in conversation or sitting contentedly with no real aim. Rokurou was always the one you worried most for when 'Velvet's Revenge' would go out exploring Daemon infested areas. You'd pace the deck of the ship till the boards were worn. His face was always the first you'd search for upon their return. His amber eye would meet yours and your heart would begin to race. Without fail a large smile would always spread across his features.

~

More pressing matters are at hand however... As you're currently laying in Rokurou's bed...

"How do I know... You won't try anything?" You speak, voice small and inquisitive, like an uncertain child. It's highly unlikely Rokurou actually would but better safe than sorry. His arms are still wrapped tightly around you, a cage. For the most part Rokurou is trustworthy. But every so often he loses control, giving into the Daemon side. So much so he forgets friend and foe alike. The sight of it is terrifying, yet beautiful. Raw power and passion unhinged. Negative emotions like jealousy, lust, and greed are all triggers. A deadly storm lurks beneath his carefree facade.

"I give my word as a man of Rangetsu. I won't do a thing but lay beside you." His voice is earnest. Rokurou withdraws his arms from your torso and widens the distance between you. Impulsively you turn to face him studying his serious expression. A tinge of fear must be visible in your eyes, for his next offer is most unexpected. "I can even sleep on the floor if you'd like. Just stay here." Without waiting for a response he begins to get up.

Already cold begins to make it's way where Rokurou once lay. It makes loneliness well up inside you. "No, it's alright. Stay." You gently pat his pillow for emphasis. The warrior stiffens on his perch, the edge of the bed, and turns giving you a hard stare. A smile of reassurance spreads across your face and slowly he works his way back under the covers beside you, shifting to get comfortable.

"Thank you." Gratefulness colors his voice. Rokurou tilts his head toward, you studying you, his intense amber eye seeming to glow. Your cheeks heat up at his close proximity. The Ravenette flashes you a bright toothy smile, like that of an excited child, cheeks flushing a light pink. Rokurou then turns away and, as promised, doesn't lay a finger on you. Soon enough his breaths turn deep and even, the warrior is sound asleep. You on the other hand are wide awake, still unaccustomed to sharing a bed with a man.