Chapter Three -Disturbing the Yuletide

Topaz was never one to look a gift horse in the mouth. If a huge hunk of a chef was going to make her a sandwich, she was going to be more than happy to eat it. She had seen her fair share of caterers from various events she had played for, but none of them looked like this specimen of fine man.

There was something about the way he wielded the knife that made Topaz think this man was definitely not one to be fooled around with. His crew seemed well under control and marched like soldiers. As she ate, she watched him with as much interest as he watched her. Why else would he drop whatever he was doing to make her a sandwich? She noticed his mouth twitched at times, as if he was fighting back a smile.

"So tell me, how did Justine rope you into this last-minute job?" Topaz chose her words very carefully. She didn't want to make the silent giant angry and force her to leave half of that sandwich sitting on the plate.

"I'm new at this, so when she called, I looked at it as a good marketing strategy." He shrugged his broad shoulders in a nonchalant way that made Topaz want a piggyback ride.

"I see. How new are you?" she asked, looking down and realizing she could actually only eat half of the sandwich. She took a long swallow of her root beer and wiped her mouth.

"I've been catering for about a year now. I love it, so far."

"That's it? You could've fooled me! It looks like a well-oiled machine to me." Topaz almost groaned out loud at the imagery she'd just put in her own head. "Well oiled" and this man's muscled form should not have been in the same conversation.

"It works. How long have you been a disc jockey?" Sebastian leaned forward on the stainless steel center island and looked deep into her eyes. His gaze was almost suffocating; it made her feel as though they were the only two people in the massive kitchen.

"Four years. I spent about two years in the corporate world, and it just wasn't me. Music has always been my passion." Topaz could feel her skin tingle at the mention of her profession. She loved what she did and when she started to talk about it, she couldn't keep from getting excited.

"So how did Ms. Bradford get you roped into this last-minute job?" Sebastian said, leaning even closer to her.

Topaz smiled at his knack for returning the question. In her experience with dating, most guys didn't know what to say or how to say it right to keep her interested. The way he twisted her words around let her know that Sebastian was at least paying attention.

"She's my best friend. I would do anything to help her. I didn't have any bookings today, and even if I did, I would've made it work. Even if I'd had to teach her how to work the sound system and MP3 player myself."

"MP3 player? I thought disc jockeys use turntables?"

Topaz could've laughed out loud at the sincere look of confusion on his face.

"That's if I'm doing a mixing and scratching show, or playing a venue that requires a catalog of my vinyl records. Most events like this, you just need a laptop, MP3 player and the queue table. I rarely carry the ones and twos anymore."

"And you haul all that stuff yourself?" Sebastian looked at her arms and back to her face.

"When I have to, I do. Kinda comes with the job. I'm a big girl." Topaz flexed her muscles and laughed in spite of herself. She kept herself in good enough shape, enough to be a size twelve happy and eat like a grown woman and not a bird.

Topaz took a look at her watch and knew she should get the rest of her song list pulled up on the laptop. A part of her was longing to stay in the gorgeous knife-wielding chef's company, but she had a job to do. Business was business, regardless of whether it was a favor to her friend.

"Thanks for the sandwich, Chef Rosser," Topaz said as she slid off the stool in the kitchen. She watched as he straightened and walked around to her side of the island. He looked down at her, his gaze intense as he held out his hand.

"It's Sebastian. Thank you for the company." Sebastian took her hand and gave it a good squeeze. It wasn't a shake—it was a squeeze. The feeling of his warm hand engulfing hers made Topaz's heart pitter-patter, and her knees wobbled like gel. The sweet and spicy fragrance of his cologne seductively danced in her nostrils, and Topaz knew she would never forget that scent.

"Right, well, so, see you around." Topaz took her hand back and walked out of the huge swinging double doors.

* * *

Sebastian watched Topaz sway out of the door. There was no way anyone who saw her move would call it just a "walk." The way her hips sashayed back and forth, Topaz could've been a belly dancer. She held her head high; Sebastian could tell she was a tough cookie. He wouldn't let that deter him from finding out more about her.

He looked back at the half sandwich she'd left and almost smiled again. She liked his favorite sandwich, sliced beef with tomatoes and all the fixings. If any woman could eat even half of the towering sandwich, she would be woman enough for him.

The chef wrapped the rest the sandwich in plastic wrap and put it next to his carryall. He would finish it later if she didn't come back for it. He picked up his cell phone and used the Internet to look up DJ Bluefire. Her website was hypnotic, the various blues weaving and dancing to a soft, melodic instrumental track. He clicked on her calendar and found her next three venue dates.