20

Bobby was so nervous he was shaking

He clutched the bouquet of soft pink roses in one hand and rang the doorbell with the other. Stepping back from the door he smoothed down his hair and ran a hand across the invisible wrinkles in his dark gray suit jacket, and straightened the lapels.

Suddenly the door swung open. Ashley's dad stood there, tall and intimidating.

"Hello sir," he cracked. God, he sounded like a thirteen year old who's voice was changing.

"Good evening, Bobby," he said, his voice surprisingly soft for such a big man. "Come in, Ashley should be coming down in a few minutes."

Bobby stepped inside. Their house was big and spacious and beautifully decorated. Ashley's dad led him through the front room to the family room and told Bobby to have a seat.

He was moving to sit down when he saw movement at the staircase.

Bobby's breath hitched and he stood frozen.

Ashley was slowly walking down the stairs, radiant in a navy blue kneelength dress. Her wide beaming smile was directed at him and the breath was knocked from his lungs.

"Y- you look beautiful," he finally stuttered when she stood in front of him.

"Thank you," she said shyly, reaching out a hand to straighten his tie. The touch was so casual, and Bobby felt lightheaded with her closeness, her dress, the sweet smell of her perfume, and just her.

They walked out to his car and he held her door, smiling at her as she thanked him. He slid into the driver's side seat and they headed to the restaurant on the other side of town.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

He looked deep into her eyes, trying to judge her reaction.

She looked anything but scared. Her face was lit with an ethereal glow and her happiness showed in the smile that graced her lovely face.

They stood close together on Ashley's front porch. Their date was over and night had fallen but they couldn't seem to say good-bye.

Her eyes were shut as she stood close to him and he pressed a kiss to her forehead. Her eyes snapped open immediately. He could hear her breathing quicken and the look in her eyes made his heart race.

Bobby leaned his forehead against hers and he could feel her breath lightly fanning his lips.

"Ashley," he whispered, and kissed her.

He had never kissed anyone before. He had never even had a girlfriend before Ashley. What she saw in him, he still didn't know.

Her arms went around his neck and she pressed closer as he cupped her face gently with one hand. He felt a deep stirring, starting at his feet and wrapping itself around his heart, making him feel warm and wanted.

His lips moved over hers until they both had to pull back to breathe. They stood silently until Ashley suddenly grabbed his chin, stood on tiptoes and kissed him again. It was shorter this time, but still something beautiful and Bobby thought he could never tire of this.

He hugged her tightly, not ever wanting to let go, and buried his face in the side of her neck.

And it was then that he knew.

So softly that she barely heard, he whispered-

"I love you."