37

a/n • hey guys! i think this is my first authors note for SOY

a/n • hey guys! i think this is my first authors note for SOY. I hope you are enjoying this story... I wrote this chapter in bobby's pov. I'm thinking about editing the heck out of this story after its finished. I want to make it more 'book like' with maybe every few chapters in ashley or bobby's pov. tell me what you guys think!

His breathing came in ragged gasps and his fists clenched at his sides. He kept his head bowed, hiding the tears pooling in his eyes. Sobs threatened to burst out but he swallowed it somehow.

His eyes swept over the sea of black. So many people who cared about Ashley. So many people who loved her. But none of them loved her as he did.

All these people had come for her but she wasn't here. He imagined if she would be here, she would be flitting from person to person, hugging and talking and comforting. She had a kind word for everyone.

His eyes fell on the coffin. Ashley.

Ashley.

He couldn't breath. He needed to leave. He stood and stumbled outside. He gulped the fresh air and felt himself calm slightly.

He had to stop imagining her in the coffin. Cold. And dead. He wanted to rip the lid open and see her, alive.

The pain was too much. It tore him apart inside and left a jagged wound across his heart. It cut him and the bleeding wouldn't stop.

After years, long lonely years, he had finally found her. Someone who made him happy. Someone he loved.

And then she was gone.

His source of happiness.

He huffed out an angry breath and ran his hand through his hair. Life was so unfair to him. Was it ever fair to anyone?

He turned at the sound of a door opening behind him.

"Bobby." It was his mom.

"Mom," he said softly, and fell into her embrace.

She held him tight, rubbing his back and murmuring quietly.

He pulled back and wiped his slightly wet eyes. "Thanks mom."

"Are you okay Bobby? You left and I didn't know if you were alright." He felt like crying at the concerned look on her face.

"I'm alright, I think. I'm just going to stay out here for a few more minutes."

"Okay..." She reluctantly left.

He sat on a stone wall a few steps from the entrance and pulled out his tablet and a pen and began writing.

ashley, it's me. bobby. who else writes
you letters? i can't believe this... here I am,
at your funeral. only a few months ago we
were running on the beach, playing football
with your little brother, or just outside
somewhere talking. you got sick so fast.
your strength left quickly and in only a few
weeks you were too weak to walk.

i didn't forget my promise to you...
but it looks pretty hopeless right
now. happy?

no, i don't think so.