Chapter 3 - Priya

Present Day

The sun warms my skin as goosebumps crawl up my legs and down my arms. I allow my hands to cushion my head as I laid down on the grass beneath me. The sound of Benjy's fingers scratching the dirt reaches my ears.

"What'cha drawing?" I ask, sweetly tilting my head his way. When he looks back at me, he raises one eyebrow and gives me a crooked smirk. His brown eyes are bright and alive.

"Oh, you know . . . drawing this and that, and making sure to add them in. The picture would be incomplete without prying eyes," he says, gesturing to the people above us.

My gaze follows his finger up to the crowd above us; their greedy hands reaching over the onyx fence, the structure separating them from a fifteen-foot drop down to our home.

"In polite society, it's rude to leave anyone out," I spit as shocks of annoyance surge through me.

The people above us continue to look down, giggling and snickering. Huffing, I stand up and place my hands on my hips hoping they reach over the barrier a little farther, enough to accidently fall into our home.

Pen is more accurate of a word. This place is simple. There's an inside with three separate rooms; an outside which is all dirt minus some patchy grass, and a tunnel the connects the two. There are a few trees, the biggest one is in the valley, and the lowest part of the enclosure. We also have what the caretakers call luxury, water troughs—strategically placed by the door of life. The threshold where caretakers come and go with food. From above, I'm sure it appears vast. But down here, it feels like we live in a bowl, especially with that stupid black fence that looms overhead, skirting the perimeter

Sighing, I look up at the big blue sky. It's open and free, and for a moment I feel as if I am too. But then I see the jagged rock walls around me caving in, and I remember that I am trapped, caged in this place. One day though, I'll get out. I'll fly away like a bird with no one to hold me back.

A small child smiling at me catches my attention. His rosy cheeks noticeable even from down here. It's difficult not to laugh as his little hand reaches up. I think he's going to wave at me and for a moment, I regret my harshness toward these people. That is until something falls over the fence. The grayish object drops fast and lands in front of me.

Grabbing it, I turn the jagged object in my hand.

"Ben, that little bastard just threw a rock at me. He's like three!" I say whining.

"Only three and he aims well already? Damn, impressive," Ben retorts.

There's no time to respond to Ben as rainfall of rocks starts to pelt me from above. Crouching down, I cover my head, knowing running will only make it worse. My body feels as if it's beginning to bruise under the barrage of rocks as they continue to pelt me. Suddenly there's a loud snapping noise as a massive rock hits my left wrist and adds a sharper pain up my arm.

"Shit," I seethe, tucking my arm under my stomach.

I stand up among the now still stones and hear the chipper tones of laughter. My blood boils, and I start throwing the rocks back, my lousy arm folded over my stomach. The viewers above squeal giddily and scatter in amusement. Not a single stone makes it up over the fence.

"What's wrong with you!" I yell, throwing my arms up in frustration. A hand latches onto my shoulder and jars me.

"Priya stop. You know there's nothing we can do except try to be better than them," Benjy says.

"I know, I know. But shouldn't you ask me if I'm okay first before giving me a moral lesson?"

He crosses his arms and rubs his chin.