Chapter 9- Priya

Rays of sun float across my hand as I roll a smooth pebble in between my thumb and forefinger. For two days, I've avoided Ben. He knows he crossed the line. I told him, but it's more than that. He stole a kiss from me that I was saving. A kiss I had hoped one day would be with someone who made me feel human.

Sex and physical touching, whether consensual or not, has no boundaries here. It's the primary activity in this enclosure because it keeps our mind's occupied, even if momentarily. It doesn't help that the viewers love it. Countless times I have seen the raw hunger in one's eyes as they've forced another down into the dirt to defile them. The cheering of the audience above fueling them to keep going.

It's not that I haven't witnessed two people who want to have sex with each other, but I refuse to be a victim any more than necessary. This place has taken so much from me. I need to control something and being intimate is the only tangible thing I can manage.

Lying back against the stone wall, the one that curves outward blocking the view of the enclosure, I continue to roll the pebble between my fingers, wondering how much longer I can hold out. The soft pit-pat of Ben's feet against the dirt becomes silent as he strolls past the corner and heads toward me. He sits next to me with his shoulder touching mine, and I realize how much I miss my friend.

"Priya, I'm sorry," he says with a soft voice.

I drop the pebble, cross my arms, and look away from him.

"Priya, please look at me. I know I messed up, but I'm trying to apologize."

I remain in position.

"Priya, I'm—I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me, but I think we should talk about this, about—"

"What else is there to talk about, Ben?" I whirl around to face him. "You're my best friend. No, I'm sorry, my only friend as you so kindly point out, and you kissed me without my permission. End of story. Now, I'm mad, and you feel bad. But at that moment, you took what you wanted." My voice started out fierce but breaks the more I look at him. His light brown eyes are now muddled and a short distance below, his mouth sags. I see pain being etched across his face—one word at a time—as my truth sets into him.

"Priya, it won't happen again. I swear. Forgive me." He looks down at my crossed arms. A physical reminder of how I'm shutting him out.

"Why should I?" My attempt to remain firm is fading fast. We've been through too much for me to hold a grudge from a kiss, right?

As if reading my mind, he answers. "Because you know that I'm not the enemy, they are." My eyes follow his extended index finger to the viewers above.

I shudder. Ben's right. As soon as we let them turn us against each other, they win.

"I know who the enemy is," I reply. "But, I'm not over this yet. Just so you know."

He smiles at me, a brilliant smile that'd make any girl's knees weak. "I'd be shocked if you didn't," he responds.

My shoulders sag with relief as the tension ripples away. Ben must notice because he leans toward me, eyes asking, may I? Before wrapping me up in a hug. I don't resist.

"Come, let's take a walk." He says, letting go to stand up. He helps me up, sticking his arm out to escort me.

"I have news, a titillating story," Ben says in his most gaudy voice.

I chuckle, "Is that so? It sounds like you're trying to gossip with me."

"Hmm, you're right. Anyways, an illness has spread to another sector. The Guardian's quarantined the whole area," Ben says as we walk amongst our kind.