Chapter Fifteen

Dawn’s P.O.V

Even as I lay in Gerard’s arms as he sang to me, there was no way I was going to be able to fall asleep even if I tried. And I did. But his face just kept popping up and turned into a horrible nightmare every time. So, I just stared absently out the window with Gerard’s lips moving against my neck.

Any other time I would’ve found it nice and sweet… maybe even romantic. But I just wasn’t in the mood at that moment. My best friend was dead. Gerard killed him. No, I killed him. No… the Director killed him- long before he breathed his last breath.

Tori would never hurt me. He had only ever tried to help. That thing possessing his body wasn’t him.

We pulled up to the compound that Dr. Death Defying was at. Gerard helped push me out as Ray took my hand, guiding me to the ground. Frank was the first to the double doors, going to a keypad and entering something that I couldn’t see, only being able to hear the beep of each button. When he finished, his flashed his face to a camera overhead, sliding his mask back on when a light flashed green.

Frank opened the steel door, holding it open for all of us, looking behind him as he let it shut.

A man emerged from a hall somewhere in front of us, “Ah, Gerard, what brings you and your friends here?”

“Dawn, this is Dr. Death Defying,” Gerard introduced us.

He held his hand out, “Please call me Dr. D,” he smiled.

I nodded as Gerard continued, “A few days ago before arriving at the diner, she was attacked by a group of dracs. One of them shot her in the arm and it’s not healing like it’s supposed to.”

“Well what are we waiting for?” He asked, “Let’s go get it looked it, yeah?” He beckoned for us to follow. We walked across the spacious room and down a hallway, following the twists and turns before he opened a door, standing to the side as we all filed in.

He motioned for me to sit on the hospital bed while everyone found a seat around me Gerard stood by the door and rested against it, arms crossed over his chest.

I took my jacket off and pulled the neck of my shirt down far enough to where he could examine it. He had confirmed what everyone had said before, “There should be no reason for it to be hurting. Maybe there’s an infection on the inside? Maybe you just heal differently. I’ll have the nurse give you some pain medication.”

Everyone nodded but Gerard just evil eyed the floor in front of him. I sighed, pulling my jacket back on as Dr. D walked out of the room, a nurse walking in and handing me a bottle. She escorted us out of the room and back to where we had arrived.

Everyone had gone straight to bed when we got back to the diner. It was dark out and the sun would be coming up to light the horizon in a couple of hours. I lay next to Gerard in the backroom on the mattress, his arm lazily slung across my stomach and his face on my shoulder; I carefully sat up, trying not to wake him.

I rubbed my eyes with my fingertips and ran a hand through my hair. The mattress shifted beside me as a sleepy Gerard muttered my name. I turned my head and looked down at him, his red mop lifting and falling in my lap.

I smiled sadly even though he probably couldn’t see it, “Hey Geebear,” I whispered.

The moonlight shone on him from the window, half of his face lit and the other half left in the darkness but I could still see his smile, probably from my new nickname for him, “You need to get some rest,” he sighed, studying my face.

I huffed, “I know… I’ve just been thinking…” The night air held a heavy silence.

He sat up, our eyes level, “What is it?”