Chapter Seventeen

Dawn’s P.O.V

I wanted to march back up that hill, climbing over the large rocks and other obstacles just to shoot all of them. I could do it, it’s just a distraction. He only needed a few seconds to escape. Putting on my determined face, I did. I ran back up the hill, shooting at the ones closest to me and then moving on. Bending down, I picked up one of the fallen drac’s ray gun, a snarl on my face as everything flew in slow motion.

I saw Frank out of the corner of my eye jump from the car, ray gun aimed as he helped take out the rest of the drac’s with me. There were only seven left. One of them shouted as he pointed towards me, “That’s her!”

More dracs than Frank and I had originally thought crawled out of the car. My eyes widened, my lip twitching. I clenched my teeth together, running from the cars, shooting the dracs that stood in my path as I slid down the side of the hill. I felt pretty badass if I do say so myself.

I looked over my shoulder and Frank and I had locked eyes again. I winked at him, a daredevil smile playing on my lips. I heard him shouting my name but I ignored him. None of the dracs paid attention to him anymore, they were all after me.

I dodged the trees and low hanging branches, jumping over fallen objects and large rocks so that I didn’t trip. I shot another glance over my shoulder, the dracs had pulled their ray guns out and were now aiming them at me. I heard their missed shots pew past my ears, seeing them fly right in front of me as I ran left to right.

I fell to one knee as a jolt of pain licked the back of my leg. Those bloody bitches had shot me.

I stopped, standing on one leg as I turned to shoot the dracs. They all surrounded me, tightening the circle. Tears burned behind my eyes as they eventually started to leak from my eyes. I turned in a complete circle, opening fire power blindly. Soon enough, there weren’t any more beams left in my gun or the one I had picked up from the drac.

Several of them lurched for my arms but I sprung up, hitting them in the jaw with my guns. I thrashed around, violently kicking and punching them, just swinging my arms around and hoping that I hit them. One of them dug their nails into my shoulder and I bit them, earning me a pained scream.

There were just too many of them. They picked me up, two of them holding both of my arms and my legs. The dracs were carrying me to the car, feet first but I wouldn’t give up. I defiantly placed my feet on either side of the door, pushing through the pain in my leg. I looked over at the Trans Am where Frank helplessly stood. We both knew there was nothing he could do for me now.

He shook his head slowly just as I had done when he didn’t jump out of the car. I kept my eyes glued to him as I yelled, “We’ll carry on!”

His face changed from a shock and helpless expression to a twisted mix of pain and fury. He was the last thing I saw before I was knocked out and shoved into the car.