Chapter Four - Lydya Charis

If there was even the slightest chance that perfection existed, Lydya was sure that it had to be somewhere among the trees. Ever since she could remember, the trees had been calling her.
Come, they would say. Come, child. You are special. Come. You are one of us. We are calling you. Come. Join us. We are one, you and us.
At first, she had been scared. Then she had gotten used to the calling, and wasn't scared anymore. And now, now she couldn't imagine a life without the trees softly whispering in her ears, every time she escaped that confining prison her family called home and everybody else called castle.
For Lydya, the forest, bright and blooming in spring, refreshing and green in summer, chill and ablaze in autumn and icy yet cosy in winter was the definition of perfection. It had happened more than once that she had fallen asleep, beneath some tree or another, in the soft lullabies that the forest whispered.
So it was not unusual for the princess to wake up with the tree canopy above her. However, the young man watching her and smiling was a rather different sight from what she normally saw.
"Dominic Blackwell, what a pleasant surprise!" she greeted, while rubbing the sleep from her eyes.
"Lydya Charis, not much of a surprise, but still a wonderful sight!" he replied, the soft smile replaced by a smirk. "Your father has been looking for you for a while now."
"And yet he fails to look in the most obvious place..." she mused, too softly for him to hear.
The summer evening suddenly felt cold and crisp, and Lydya wrapped her hands around herself. She shouldn't be so affected by his words, still she couldn't quite get herself to stop caring.
Dominic sat down next to her, his presence silent but comforting at the same time. She leaned into him, listening to the birds chirping in the trees and the soft breeze rushing through the leaves.
At last, the man broke the silence.
"Two more weeks until Jacen's coronation. And wedding. Are you ready?"
"I... I don't know. I think so. And the delegation from Amaryl should arrive tomorrow or the day after that and I am worried for Jace. He hasn't taken the news about his betrothal well."
Dominic slid his arm around her, holding the princess close enough that she could feel his heartbeat.
"He will be fine, don't worry about it. You said yourself that the princess from Amaryl was lovely and would make an amazing queen."
"Yes, that is true. But still..."
Silence fell over the two again. Lydya closed her eyes and shifted slightly, so that her head would rest on his shoulder. Too many thoughts passed through her mind. You should talk to someone, Anna had told her. Maybe she should tell him.
Maybe he will understand and not run away screaming.
Maybe she would get lucky this one time.
Then again, luck had never really been on her side.
So she kept silent and enjoyed the moment, wishing for so many more and not daring to hope.
***
"Her majesty, Queen Eleanor of Amaryl! And her daughter, crown-princess Penelope Byron!" a herald announced.
Lydya and her father were the only members of the royal family waiting for the Amaryl delegation. Queen Beryl was feeling worse than usual and Jacen had yet to leave her side. Lydya couldn't blame him, there had always been a special bond between the two.
Somewhere among the court members, Dominic stood next to his father, lord Nixon Blackwell, waiting for the foreign royalties
Lost in thought, the princess didn't notice the younger woman walking towards her before it was too late.
"Lydya!" Penelope exclaimed, hugging the princess tight enough the she felt like all the air had been squeezed right out of her.
"Hello, Penelope," Lydya wheezed.
The younger woman looked up to Lydya's face and let go almost immediately.
"Sorry, bad habit," she chuckled, rubbing her neck awkwardly.
Meanwhile, queen Eleanor had approached king Jupiter and bowed her head in recognition.
"Penelope, where are your manners?" she exclaimed, looking pointedly at her daughter.
Penelope stepped back from Lydya and curtsied in front of the king. Queen Eleanor smiled softly at her daughter, long used to the girl's antics. Then she looked at Lydya, gaze scrutinising.
"Your Highness." Lydya bowed low, head down, hoping to hide behind her hair.
"Lydya, dearest, I thought I told you the Eleanor if just fine!" The queen smiled and pulled the princess into a hug. "How are you?"
"Quite well, thank you! And you?" Pleasantries, these were nothing but pleasantries.
"Thank you, I am more than well." The queen knew the role she had to play.
Lydya felt his presence long before he reached her. He always had this effect on her. Making her heart flutter and her blood sing. She had thought she would be used to it by now.
"Your Highness," he greeted, bowing low from the waist. "On the behalf of the high court of Tamer, we welcome you to our land!"
"Thank you, sire, for your kind words and your welcoming heart!" the queen replied.
"Queen Eleanor, allow me to introduce Dominic Blackwell, heir to Lord Nixon Blackwell. Dominic's father serves in my father's court from the beginning of his reign and has taken the position of Overseer of the Council ever since Lord Titus Tide has disappeared."
With Lydya's words, Dominic bowed again. Soon enough, Lord Blackwell took a step in front of his son, bowing low in front of the queen.
"Forgive my son and his hurried nature, my Lady. I can only hope that he was able to greet you properly." A sheepish smile appeared on Dominic's face.
"Not to worry, Lord Blackwell, your son made a stellar impression! Oh, to be so young and exuberant..." the queen sighed, smiling softly.
"Should you allow me, my Lady, I will take you to the Council hall, as there are still several details regarding the ceremony next week."
Lord Nixon held his arm for the queen which she gracefully took. The two headed towards the main entrance speaking softly.
Looking around, Lydya noticed that her father had also left for the castle. So had most of the Nobles gathered to welcome the Queen of Amaryl and her daughter. She wiped her sweaty palms on her skirt. She had avoided the confrontation. At least delayed it for a few hours.
Dominic took one of her hands in his, not uttering a single word. Her father had yet to speak to her. They had been silently avoiding each other for two days now, ever since Dominic had come searching for her in the forest. She squeezed his hand, leaning into him. Her mind drifting away, she was completely oblivious to her surroundings, until a sharp gasp startled her.
Penelope was looking, wide-eyed at Lydya's wrist. No, Lydya realised, not at her wrist, but at her hand, and at Dominic's hand, still holding hers.
"Lydya Charis!" Penelope exclaimed, "you never mentioned..."
"Penelope, meet Dominic Blackwell," Lydya cut her short. "Dominic, this is Penelope Byron."
"Pleased to meet you, princess!" Dominic smiled, not letting go to Lydya's hand.
"The pleasure is all mine, sir!"
"Dominic will do, my father is the 'sir' of the family," he chuckled.
"Then, please, call me Penelope. I am sorry, but Lydya here never bothered to mention you." A pointed look was directed to the older princess. "What is next, Lydya, an unannounced double wedding?"
Lydya could feel the blood rising to her cheeks, staining them a deep red. There had been several reasons for which she had not mentioned Dominic in any sort of conversation with the younger princess.
First, the whole thing was still new and not completely figured out. They had talked about the future, yes, but nothing serious. Not yet.
Second, the younger princess could not keep a secret for the life of her. It was not foul thought on her side, just that she was so talkative that things had a tendency to come out without any control.
"Come on, Penelope, let me show you the gardens!" she tried to avoid the question.
Fate was on her side for once, and the princess dropped the subject, too enthusiastic about seeing the renowned Royal Gardens of Elda.
Shooting an apologetic look towards Dominic, Lydya led the way on the paved path. Hopefully, the immense gardens would be enough to keep Penelope occupied for several hours.
***
The crisp evening was refreshing after a welcoming feast that was also used as a means to introduce the Crown Prince to his future wife. Lydya was standing on her balcony, overlooking the forest.
So far so good. She had not expected for the celebration to go as smoothly as it had. Somehow, even her mother had made an, albeit brief, appearance, looking better than she had in the last months.
Hope was rising in Lydya's heart. Maybe all would be well. That would definitely be a breath of fresh air.
A soft knocking came from the door.
"Come in!" the princess called.
One of the hand-maidens of queen Eleanor entered and curtsied.
"Sorry to disturb you, your highness, but queen Eleanor requested that you join her for a few moments tonight. She said that she will expect you on the balcony, as she wishes to stargaze for a bit." The girl curtsied again.
Lydya sighed softly. She had expected for the queen to ask for her. She had hoped for more time. She had been a fool to hope.
"I'll come." She grabbed a silk cloak and said to the girl, "lead the way."
As soon as they arrived in front of the door, the girl curtsied again and left. No doubt on the queen's order.
Lydya raised her hand and knocked on the door.
"Come in!" came the muffled response.
The princess drew in a long breath and opened the door. The queen was on the balcony, as she had been told. She turned around to greet the younger woman and Lydya let loose the air she had been holding in her lungs.
The pleasantries were over.

***
So far, this had been the hardest chapter to write, hope you enjoy it!
Remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed it as much as I did!
Love,
Damy

Question:
What do you think Princess Lydya is hiding?