Chapter 2

Jack and Katherine finally arrive at the front of the Newsboy's Lodgehouse. Jack's been complaining about how he wasn't overtired and how Crutchie keeps getting in the way of him and Katherine's relationship the whole way.

     "Jack enough." Katherine says as she opens the door.

     "But Kath!"

     "Jack, stop whining. For the last time you can talk to Crutchie later. I don't want you to do something you'll regret just because you've been overworking yourself." Katherine says forcefully.

     "Fine. Whatever makes you happy." Jack says, internally rolling his eyes.

     Katherine sighs. "I'll come by later, okay?"

     "Okay." Jack responds.

     "Bye Jackie." Katherine says as she kisses Jack on the cheek.

     Jack flashes a fake smile. "Bye." He says.

     As Katherine walks away Jack starts to climb up the ladder to he and Crutchie's "penthouse" as they like to call it. As he climbs up Jack mumbles, mocking Katherine.

"Go see Crutchie later" and "You're going to make an irrational decision." "What if I want to make that irrational decision?" Jack thinks to himself. "What if I want to confront Crutchie? What if I want to yell at him? What if I want to tell him how annoying his obliviousness can be!?" Jack fumes internally.

     As he reaches the top of the ladder he hoists himself up onto the metal strip he and Crutchie call home. Jack flings his hat onto his makeshift bed and turns around to see a beaming Crutchie.

     "Hiya Jack!" Exclaims Crutchie.

     Jack tries not to explode internally. "How can he be so happy?" Jack thinks to himself. "Hey Crutch." Jack responds.
     "Hey Jackie boy, what's up? You good?" Crutchie asks looking concerned.

     "Yeah I'm fine." Jack says forcefully.

     "No you're not Jack, I know you. What is going on?" Crutchie responds.

     Jack forces out the same two words. "I'm fine."

     "You're not."

     "Stay calm Jack.Listen to Katherine. Oh, who's kidding I need to tell him. He'll keep going on and on asking if I'm ok. If I don't yell at him now I for sure will if he irritate me more than he already is. I just won't specify who I'm talking about." Jack thinks to himself.

     "Fine, I'm not." Jack says to Crutchie. "I've been so irritated by this one person, it's driving me insane. I just want to yell at them!"

     "Okay." Crutchie says. "Well... why are they irritating you so much?" He asks.

     "Every time Katherine and I are spending time together this person always interrupts. It's so annoying. I love Kath so much, since the day I saw her. I don't want our time together to always be interrupted." Jack says, his nerves starting to calm down.

     Crutchie sits in silence for a little then responds. "Hey Jack quick question. Why don't you want your time with Katherine interrupted? You always say that love at first sights for suckers."

     "It used to be." He responds. "Look girls are nice, once or twice, till I find someone new but I never planned on someone like her."

     Crutchie nods and looks at Jack. He can tell there is more that is bothering him. "Jack, you sure there's nothing else bothering you? I know we have one problem to resolve but are ya sure there's nothin else?" Crutchie asks.

     Jack goes stiff, his anger coming back. "Yes. I'm fine." He responds, jaw clenched.

     "Jack, cmon it's me, Crutchie. You can tell me anything."Crutchie says kindly. "I'm here for y--"

     "You really want to know Crutch. You really want to know?!" Jack spits out. "You are what's wrong. You ruin every moment Katherine and I have. Every. Time. You are so oblivious and it ruins everything!"

     "Jack I-"

     "And you know what else, you are so clingy. You are somehow always near me! You are always there. I can't take it anymore! And on top of that work! I'm constantly working. I don't get rest. Once I start a sketch I have to finish it. I can't stop myself! I've lost so much sleep, I can't take it anymore! You and work and everything going on! It's driving me insane!" Jack looks at Crutchie.

     Crutchie is shaking so much that his crutch can barely support him. A tear slips down his red cheek. He looks at Jack and says with a shaky voice just above a whisper,  "I'll just go then." His face is wet with tears. Crutchie walks away from Jack and starts down the ladder.

     "Crutchie!" Jack says, his voice full of pain and regret.

     Crutchie looks up at Jack and shakes his head.

     Jack watches Crutchie descend. He feels horrible. "She was right." He thinks to himself. Jack is pulled into reality when he hears a sudden crash and a scream.

     Crutchie is hanging onto the ladder by his left arm and leg. His crutch is now a pile of splinters on the concrete. "Jack!" He yells. "I can't get up, my leg!"

     "I got you Crutch." Jack says. He runs over to the ladder and peers over at Crutchie. "I'm so sorry, for everything I said! I didn't mean it. I've been so tired and irritated. Yes the part about you intruding on Katherine and I are true but I didn't mean it like that! I'm so sorry I should have never spoken to you like that. Crutchie, I'm so sorry."

     Crutchie sniffles and looks up at Jack, beaming. "Save me then apologize!" Crutchie says.

     Jack grabs Crutchie's hand and pulls him up. "I'm so sorry." Jack says, hugging Crutchie.

     "Thanks for saving me Jack. If you weren't there I would have probably fallen. Who knows what would have happened to my bad leg?" Crutchie responds.

     "Do you forgive me?" Asks Jack.

     Crutchie smiles and looks at Jack. He hugs him and says, "I forgive you."

***
Comment if you found the reference! ;)
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you like this fanfic please share with other fansies! Thanks for reading!