twenty-eight

jeongguk wasn't sure what to expect.

somewhere, in those last few seconds of the darkness of the restaurant, he'd been hit by a gigantic volley of emotionsㅡfear and doubt and panic and anxietyㅡbecause what would he see? he'd see the light, and with the light he'd see jimin. for the first time, in the actual flesh and blood. 

oh, god. did he want to? could that be what she'd been so scared about revealing? was she not the girl in the selfies she'd sent, was that what he'd see?

and in that frightening moment of pure idiocy, jeongguk thought, is this one a guy, too?

only once jeongguk had snapped himself out of his thoughts, he realized that they'd come to a stop; a few moments had passed since the doors behind them had closed with a soft thud. no one was saying as much as a word.

finally, there was a light tugging on his sleeve. a quiet "sir? sir." jeongguk clicked his tongue.

"no," he answered firmly.

"sir, we're out of theㅡ"

"no."

"it's not... it's not dark anymore, sir? you can open yourㅡ"

"i'll open my eyes when i damn well please," jeongguk hissed, feeling about seven years old with his eyes tightly shut and brow furrowed childishly. but he liked the dark. couldn't he stay in it, for just a bit longer?

"but we're literallyㅡ" the waiter cut himself off, letting out a soft, resigned sigh. "...as you wish, then. ma'am?"

"no thank you," jeongguk heard jimin reply immediately.

"ma'am," the waiter persisted. "will you be opening your eyes?"

jeongguk almost cracked an eye open at that.

"no, thank you."

"do i need to..." the waiter sighed again, though this one betrayed a hint of exasperation. "would you like to me to lead you both out of the building... despite our perfectly functioning lighting..."

"that would be great, yes!" jimin enthused, giving jeongguk's hand a gentle squeeze, who frowned quizzically. "you're such a dear."

"i did not sign up for this," the waiter muttered under his breath, almost inaudible as he nevertheless regained his hold on jeongguk's arm and steered him tentatively forward, and jeongguk decided that maybe, just maybe, he was sort of justified for that. i mean, jeongguk closing his eyes was understandable. but jimin? why the fuck was jimin closing her eyes? ridiculous!

there was a tinkling of a bell and a gush of the cool night air. jeongguk almost whimpered, already craving the heated interior of the restaurant. he strained weakly against the waiter's grip, who kept it firm, clearly determined to get them well out of the restaurant's vicinity before he let them go.

he could literally shove us into traffic right now, jeongguk realized, and we wouldn't even know. that must have helped jeongguk regain a little bit of his senses as he opened one eye, then the other, squinting and adjusting to the dull lighting of the night. when sufficiently satisfied with his eyesight, jeongguk inched his gaze to his left, deliberately avoiding the other direction, where he knew jimin would be. instead, he focused on the waiter, who was striding purposefully towards the road, arm taut as he practically dragged jeongguk along.

absent-mindedly, jeongguk stared at the waiter's hand gripping his arm for a few moments. then, slowly, without raising his eyes, he shifted his gaze to look at his own hand entwined with jimin's.