Chapter Thirty Nine- Over Time

Patrick

After the Wild series the Red Wings were in town and they were a bit more to handle. We were able to force a game seven at home after falling 3-1 in the series and now we had all the momentum.

I sit in my stall before game seven listening to my girlfriends album and getting into game mode. I feel a tap on my shoulder and look up to see a man in a suit.

"Hello" I ask taking my headphones off.

"Hi Patrick, I'm Ryan and I work in the offices for the Blackhawks. We were wondering if your girlfriend was in the building" he asks.

"She is. Is everything okay" I counter.

"Actually Jim just got sick and we have no one to sing the national anthem. Usually we just play a track when he isn't here but this is game seven of the western conference semi finals so we would much rather have a singer. We want to know if maybe Elizabeth can do it" he suggests.

"Umm I'm not sure. I can talk to her" I reply and he nods. I put the guards on my skates and head up to the boxes where everyone was at for the playoffs. She was a big deal now so for my own peace of mind she resides in the boxes for games.

I get up there and everyone in the room stops. I was in full uniform and the guys were about to take the ice so I get the confusion.

"Um... is my girlfriend around" I ask. Lindsey disappears then reappears with her in her arms. She was eating a hot dog and trying to look to the ice as she gets pushed around.

"Wait! I wanted to see Patrick" she whines.

"Hey" I laugh as she gets pushed in front of me.

"Patrick! Hold on... shouldn't you be down there" she asks.

"Yeah so I'm going to make this short. Can you sing the national anthem tonight" I wonder.

"What? Me" she asks.

"Yes you" I clarify.

"Can Alli and Viv come with" she asks.

"Um sure, why not" I shrug. That's not up to me but if that's what she wants I don't think we're in the position to negotiate right now.

"Okay, let me get them" she says. That was easier than I than I thought it would be. I head down to the locker room and I stop.

"What's wrong" she asks.

"You can't go in there" I say and she laughs.

"Right. I'll wait here. Good luck" she smiles before kissing my cheek making my stomach do flips. That never gets old. I run through the locker room and straight to the ice taking large strides. I look up to the seats what were already packed and smile to myself. No way were we going to lose tonight, we just couldn't. What we did during the regular season was great, but that means nothing without a championship.

After warm ups they clean up the ice and we return for opening line ups. I sit on the bench and watch the ice show with chills. The lights stay dim as the starting line ups are called. Everyone skates to center ice and awaits for the next announcement.

"Please turn your attention to the blue line for a special treat. Cornel Kingsley and Coperate Cooper are joined by a special guest for the national anthem. Unfortunately Jim isn't feeling well tonight but fortunately we have the pleasure of a great singer being a part of the organization. It's my honor to announce Elizabeth Star as tonight's anthem singer" the announcer says. The crowd rises to their feet and cheer as if they just dropped the puck. Most of the guys give her a stick tap as she emerges from the tunnel. She shakes each veterans hands and given them a salute causing some of the guys to giggle. She was something else, that's for sure. She gets to her mark and Alli and Vivian follow her out and they stand at the end. I wasn't sure if the crowd was going to cheer or not so who knows what to expect.

From the first note the crowd was as loud as I have ever heard it. The place was shaking and she was challenging right back. Her and her girls were putting on a show and I had to look around. A lot of the guys were doing the same thing because we have never been a part of something like this. I was afraid something was going to give with all the energy vibrating through this place. It was crazy.

Eventually she gets to the last note and as she goes higher and higher so does the crowd. The hairs on my arms fighting my jersey to stand up too. The song ends and the lights come on revealing the crowd going crazy. I look to Elizabeth who was looking around with the biggest smile on her face.

"Woah" she gasps then looks to the microphone forgetting it's on. Vivian turns it off and we all have a good laugh. I sit in the bench and Hossa sits next to me.

"Is there a reason you're girlfriend is so adorable" he asks. He and his wife have taken a liking to her and she loves everyone in the organization. I hate to see what she's like when people inevitably leave.

"No. She is just so bubbly and innocent. One of those "protect her at all costs" type of people. It's kind great" I laugh.

"Well I hope she never changes" he laughs.

"Me too" I agree.

After 60 minutes of gritty play this game was headed to over time. I didn't know how, but we needed to win this game. The guys were battling on the ice as I sat on the bench itching for something to happen.

I watch as Brent carries the puck into the offensive zone. I watch as he gains control of the puck. I watch as he pulls a little half slapped and totally fools the goalie. I watch the puck fly, like slow motion as it cleanly makes it past Howard and into the net. I watch as the goal horn goes off and Brent goes down to one knee to celebrate.

We all flood the ice and surround him as Chelsea Dagger goes off in the distance. Everyone was a little tired and very relieved that it was over and we could move on.

After the game I meet with Elizabeth in the hallway and she jumps into my arms.

"Oh Patrick that was the coolest thing I've ever seen. You guys were so great" she cheers.

"Thanks, but you should thank the big man over there" I laugh pointing to Brent.

"Seabs" she yells and he turns around. She gives him two thumbs up and he just laughs.

"Thanks Kid" he smiles.

"Any time dad" she teases and he rolls his eyes. I lace my fingers through hers and kiss the side of her head.

"You did pretty great yourself. How did it feel to sing the best national anthem" I say a bit loud so Jonny could hear me.

"Oh that was the coolest thing ever. Like three times I almost stoped singing because it was so crazy. I've never heard anything like that" she remembers.

"Me either" I admit. We head home and as soon as we get home we crash in bed. Precious curls up at the bottom of the bed and I let out a long sigh.

"What's on your mind" Lizzie asks wrapping herself around my arm.

"It's kind of funny that we get through one obstacle and now we have another. Then after that another one. Does it ever end" I ask.

"If it wasn't hard do you think you would be so thankful you guys did it" she asks.

"Well no" I admit.

"It's the best trophy in professional sports because it's the hardest to get. Only the best get to raise it, and that's you" she says softly. I turn to her to see she was staring at me already.

"Are you real? Like this whole night I've been pinching myself because I feel like I'm dreaming, like this is just one big dream" I say touching her face making sure it's all real.

"I'm real. I'm really happy, really in love with you, and really tired" she giggles.

"Then lets sleep" I say pulling her into my chest. She buries her face in my side and smile big when I see her get herself comfortable. Maybe she isn't real. But she made me real happy.