Chapter 32 - Nick

Of the 8,942 ships arriving in the Port of Diligence, only 6,143 proved to have cargo fit for Greenlander consumption. Non-food sailed further north. 85% of tainted food that came ashore was incinerated. The remaining 14% was sold as animal food. We have no knowledge of the 1%

Nick chuckled inwardly when the General shoved him to the Lieutenants who normally patrolled the hallways of the castle. He had known these men for moons; they had even helped him write some of his essays when he had procrastinated doing his homework until the evening before the deadline. Once they had set foot in one of the underground tunnels, they would playfully smack him on the back and release him.

The Sundalers were quickly gathering around him. The curiosity in their eyes sparkled with the need for a dramatic show, and he was going to give them precisely that. He opened his mouth and yelled, "Let me go! I didn't wanna attack Lady Alana. I love her. She's the most gorgeous woman that ever walked on Greenlander soil."

While Lieutenant John wrung Nick's arms behind his back, Alex rolled her eyes and the Princess snorted a laugh into her hand. He doubted she would have found it equally funny if Vic had been there in his stead.

Vic. It had all been the besotted muttonhead's fault to begin with.

Nick wasn't exactly sure how he had gone from sipping the wine to concluding that the best thing to do was ask Princess Alana for a kiss, but Vic losing his temper over her kissing a little boy on the cheek had started a lively discussion within the patrol. Thanks to Eric's uncontainable enthusiasm, wine had flown all over Nick's uniform, and Jas and Dan had concluded that Nick had more chance to woo the Princess than Vic ever would.

It was truly peculiar what a drop of fermented grape juice had already done to his brain, but there were no regrets. He had done what had to be done, and this was a tale his friends would talk about for years to come.

"Ouch, you're hurting me!" He tried to squirm loose as Lieutenant Max locked the iron shackles around his wrist.

"Good to go, General." Lieutenant Peter grabbed his mask, pulling it off. "Shall I take him to the dungeon?"

"No, I'll do it." He placed his warm hand on Nick's neck and squeezed it.

Nick whimpered. Without the mask, he was no longer an unknown Cadet. The lingering stares of the Sundalers intensified along with the insinuating fingers that were pointed into his direction.

"The army lads can't be controlled," said an old, deep voice.

Though his heart beat faster, Nick wasn't too worried yet. Soon this would all be over. Much earlier than expected he would be able to visit Billy before spending the rest of the evening in his chamber, devouring his fresh stack of books until all of the candle wax melted and the wick burnt.

Until then he would keep the Sundalers entertained for a little while longer. "My Lady, help me! I only ever wished to praise your dazzling beauty. I'm no danger to you or your family."

"Aww, George, are you sure manhandling him like this is necessary?" The Princess asked with an unusually high-pitched voice, theatrically bringing her hand to her throat. "It seems cruel."

"I simply cannot tolerate this kind of behaviour in my army, My Lady. The fool needs to be taught a lesson."

Just as Nick was pulled away, Bart appeared out of the crowd, out of breath, his mask so askew that the dimples on his cheeks were visible. "General, please. I can explain."

Nick sighed. His patrol leader shouldn't have this urge to play the hero; he was the only one in the patrol to know that he could be on first-name terms with the high officers if he wanted to. This was all an act, a jest, something they would all laugh about over dinner the next day.