Chapter 4

I stew in my thoughts, I'm done being ugly to the poor old goat. Waiting for the door to open is a slow agonizing burn, one that just may kill me. I try to check my watch three different times, only to realize I finally threw the damn thing out. Each time I get frustrated all over again.

After a little while, James the chef comes out of the kitchen into the hall with our plates of food. Emmeline must have dazzled the man, he's rather... gruff. I've never seen him leave the kitchen, unless he was on his way out. I step forward grabbing the plates, trying not to hold him up any longer. His face shows a hint of disappointment that I'm the one taking the food from him. With the lack of staff and full house out there, he probably has a couple dozen orders to complete.

With no sign of the door opening soon, the polite thing to do would be to offer something to eat to the little old lady. I turn to look at her and realize once again I'm at a loss on communication. This is rather fucking annoying.

I lift the plates and shrug my shoulders... "Are you, hungry?"

She nods like she understood me... maybe? "Can you read my lips?"

She shakes her head no and then points to her ears... what does that mean?

"Can you hear me?"

She nods and graces me with a bright smile that pulls her wrinkles tight and shows a little of the younger beauty she must have been. Her expression answers my question, she isn't deaf. She can hear me, but she can't talk! That's so convenient, or not... what did I even say back in there.

My mama would be madder than a wet hen at how I've been acting. I'm holding a grudge though, if they weren't hiding something... they should have just told everything to begin with. They even kept Kayli in the dark.

I was raised right though, I won't be rude with this sweet little old lady. She has been nothing but smiles and friendly since she came in. I think she even made Emmeline more comfortable.

"Would you like one of these or a menu? I can get him to cook you anything you would like?" I finish my question, but the door behind me opens before she can give me an answer. All of my previous manners go out the window, where is Emmeline?

I turn around quickly with both plates in hand, as Dr roberts opens the door wider inviting us back in. I pass by him on my way in and see Emmeline is seated back on the desk; my stride slows as I turn my path in her direction. Bright blue eyes that makes a sunny day's sky look dull zone into me and draw me closer, the gentleness and comfort ooze from her now. Her body looks less coiled in and her contentment is visible in how she sits with her shoulders back, loosely wrapped in my jacket.

We should join the academy together... The thought stops me in my tracks. I freeze and mull over what I just decided. Ms. Rose takes advantage of my sudden stop and swipes one of the plates out of my hands as she passes by. I forgot all about the food; she's probably starving. Taking a few steps closer, I give Emmeline her plate and she looks at me inquisitively for a quick moment. The look doesn't last any time at all, because she sets her food down on the desk, and looks over and starts a conversation with Ms. Rose. With her busy talking to Ms. Rose, I decide to finish my talk with Dr. Roberts.

Leaving her side I start to stride away, but before I make it more than a step, small fingers wrap around my left hand stopping me in my tracks. This is the first time she has sought out to touch me. I twist my torso back to her, tilting my head and raising my eyebrows. Her hands move fast and the only thing I think I understand is a call sign, one that looks like a phone to her ear? Does she want my phone?

I pull the device out of my pocket holding it up like a question. I was never much good at charades... but she nods and I give her my phone. Emmeline holds up a finger signalling for me to wait while she types up something quick.