Lost and Found

I remember seeing the pamphlets detailing about all the girls up for sale: from height to weight to sexual experience to fertility; and I saw one that stood out. Her name was Olivia Bryant and she goes by Liv. There was something about her that I wanted to know; and the only way I could get to know her was to: buy her to be my handmaid and mother of my children. I did make a promise that I would save the handmaids' who hadn't given their masters children yet, from execution – and that's what this auction banquet was. It's either be sold to the highest bidder or die.

"Hello Danny. I would like to barter a deal with you."

"Which one? You see none of them have produce children in the five years I have had any of them and that is why we are here. Which girl?"

"Olivia."

"How much?"

"Let me meet her first. I want to make sure of my purchase."

"Very well."

I walk over to her and I circle her like all the men have done before like prey and then I stop. "What's your story, Liv? How does he treat you?" Startled by my question, she eyes Mr. Jameson and he turns away; and then Olivia looks up and shows a friendly smile. "My story? Like how I have lived with him for five years...?"

"Yes."

Taking her by her hand, I take her to the privacy tent where you could: have at her, talk to her, or beat her to your liking. She began her story right away. "I was twelve when he bought me from my uncle. Little did I know or even understand what was going to happen from that day on; but it wasn't pretty. There was a total of 15 other girls living in the quarter with us. That first night was the worst. He threw me down on a cinder block and I broke my arm; so he whipped his belt at my face. Master Danny made me watch him thrust into the other girls as my punishment. He'd be nice for a week after that, braiding my hair, touching me to show affection, and telling me I was pretty. We did this routine every day for the past five years. One of those nights, he was drunk and forced himself on me over and over and over until I passed out from the pain. I don't know what is wrong with me. When the medics tested me, they said I was perfect, that I was fertile enough to have a bunch of children. Were they wrong? Am I broken?"

"1000. Final price."

"Deal."

A year later we are happily engaged. No more beatings. Currently expecting twins which is rare for our quarter and Danny Jameson is shocked beyond words. I say that's a win-win. We were both lost until we found each other. She might be my handmaid, but I love her.