Chapter 27

Luke's P.O.V.

I made a right onto the gravel road that led up to the Hangout. I drove in slowly looking out through the windows for any sign of Julie.

I made it to the top of the hill and parked. I got out of my truck and began to look around more. My eyes made their way to the edge of the hill and found Julie looking out to the sunset.

Apart of me was glad that I found her here but the other part was terrified that she was contemplating jumping over the steep hill. I studied her quietly noticing her legs dangling closer to the edge.

I made my way over to her quietly. She must've heard the gravel beneath my feet that she turned around stunned to see me.

"What are you doing here?" She said surprised.

"Everyone's worried about you. They're all out looking for you." I mentioned while slowly sitting down a few inches apart from her.

"Well I'm fine. I'm just getting some fresh air." She lied wiping her tears from her cheeks. I could tell from her glassy eyes that she's been crying. I wanted to reach out and hold her but I was afraid of crossing the line.

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked.

She looked at me stunned again. The white around her pure brown eyes were now red. She shook her head and stared out towards the sun.

"How'd you know I'd be here?" She asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Uhh, I came out here after the dance." I confessed.

She let out a heavy sigh. "I didn't mean to kiss Ethan. I thought it was you. After I kissed him and didn't feel the usual sparks I seen you standing in her distance." She said trying to hold back her tears. I sat there in silence letting her speak.

"I-I... After you walked out the door I told Ethan to take off his mask and when he did and I noticed it wasn't you I ran after you. But you took off and didn't want to talk or see me." Finally, her tears were running down like rain.

"What about at school when I seen you two hugging?" I cringed at the memory of their moment.

"Ann was in the girl's restroom talking about me and I confronted her and she basically told me to go kill myself again. Ethan stopped her and was just there to comfort me." She sobbed.

My heart ached at the mention of Ethan comforting her. I couldn't go back in time I just had to comfort her now. Now that I know it was all a misunderstanding. "I'm such an idiot."

Julie looked up at me and assured me that I wasn't the idiot, but I felt other wise.

"I'm sorry Julie!" I said as I pulled her into a hug.

"It's not your fault. I know how it felt seeing that happened." I knew what she meant. She hugged me back tighter.

"I love you." I said as I kissed her hair and hugged her as the sun was setting.

"I love you too Ashton." Julie chuckled as she called me by my middle name.

We sat their holding each other and watched the sun kiss the ground goodnight. Things felt right again.