06 | when lolita fell

THIS IS AN UNEDITED AND SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE MISFORTUNES OF LOLITA. I AM PUBLISHING IT IN FALL 2021—PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON IG @/ls.akhter and GOODREADS (L AKHTER) TO STAY UPDATED. I am so excited to share TMoL with you again.

CHAPTER 6

"Sometimes I think the entire world is crumbling on top ofme."

Lolita's writing journal

When Frank went to school the next week, Lolita was nowhere to be seen.

Lana and Robin, however, were sitting atop their throne, back in business.

"Frank." Robin found him at his locker. Frank was contemplating changing his locker, because this was getting real fucking annoying.

He didn't respond. That was his strategy - don't talk, don't acknowledge. Pretend Robin's an ant. Don't step on him, though.

"Yo, Frank." Robin said. "Look, I know it was a dick move."

Frank shoved his books inside his locker. Took out his jacket, gloves. Put them on.

"You really punched me for that - that crazy bitch?" Robin said.

"Yeah." Frank said. "Don't make me do it again." Although he was dying to. He was dying to shove Robin's head onto a wall and kick him in the groin. Repeatedly.

"Fuck that, man." Robin said. "We're friends. She's psycho."

Frank closed his eyes. Opened them. Blinked. "Are you fucking serious?"

Robin looked surprised.

"You're a guy, who hurts girls and locks them inside the school." Frank spat. "Have you checked if you have some psychological issues?"

"Look, I'm sorry you got stuck in here, too!" Robin said, pushing his hippy blond hair back. "Lana's sorry about that. We all are. But that bitch deserved it."

"Fuck off." Frank said, pushing past Robin.

Thankfully, Robin had the wits to not call Frank again as he walked. Because Frank was ready to beat the shit out of him, take him to the main office, and tell the principal that Robin was injured.

It's okay, right? He would say.

After school hours. Nothing can be done, right? He would say.

"Frank!" someone called, and Frank's jaws clenched. Come on.

He kept walking, but she caught up.

"Frank, right?" Talia said.

They always said that Talia was prettier than Lolita. And that was the truth. Talia had a nice, red jacket, and she had brown hair, and her eyes were soft hazel, like warm honey. She was better than Lolita, everyone said. A less harsh version of the painting in black and brown.

But Frank noticed things - flaws in Talia that perhaps others found attractive. When she talked, her voice edged towards raspy, and her eyes were kind of dulled, really. She had a dusting of spots on her skin, as if the alcohol and drugs had been boiling her from within. When she smiled at him, her smile was all wrong too.

"Yeah." Frank looked straight ahead. Lolita never wore anything tight - as opposed to Talia, who was walking so close to him that he couldn't help but glance down her shirt.

"You like Lolita, huh?" she said.

"Who are you?" he said.

"Talia." She said. "I'm Lolita's best friend."