10 # amends

Chapter 10:- Amends

For someone who had a long night, Lucas Rivera did appear fresher than expected at 3:00 a.m..

He didn't appear much surprised to find his ex girlfriend's sister and his former friend at his door at the said time either, leading me to believe that he had been expecting the two of us.

He just opened the door and let us both in his dorm, which was in unspeakable conditions. It didn't affect Alexander, for he just walked in and sat down on the bean bag. I made space for myself besides Alex.

Lucas, with all traces of warmth from before gone, sat away from us. His expression was neutral. I suppose, it was Alexander's presence. It was the same thing with Alex. Both looking at each other like they had killed each other's dogs instead of saving each other's lives.

I let out an audible sigh. "So, I suppose no one wants to hear how Lizza is doing." I said.

At the mention of her name, both heads snapped towards me.

Oh well, Lizza made good friends.

"Where is she now?" Lucas questioned. Although his expression was quite the same, his eyes were boring into mine, burning with curiosity.

"California. State University. Majoring in chemistry. Engaged to a doctor." I said, biting my lip. Waiting for the explosion.

"What?" Alex exclaimed, in tune with Lucas's roar of "Engaged?"

I looked at the both of them, slowly judging their bewildered, angry, disappointed, confused, betrayed expressions.

But, mostly, I watched the hurt on Lucas's face.

And then, I laughed. Just in a few seconds both caught the drift and Lucas sat back again. "How do you deal with that?" Lucas asked Alexander, not quite amused with my joke.

Alexander shrugged.

"Hey!" I said, offended a bit. "She's not engaged, but the rest is true. She never told me about the either of you."

"There wasn't much to say." Alex said.

Lucas stared at me. "How was she doing when she went back?"

"She was heartbroken. She looked like hell. And she didn't say a word of what had happened, when my parents asked. Long story short, she was quite depressed for a month or so."

When Lucas's expression started to change, I added, "I suppose she was waiting for you. But, you never came."

"She never answered my calls or texts. The last time she replied was when she said she wanted space. She wanted to be away from me." Lucas said, breathing heavily.

I looked at Alex, who gave me a nod. Conforming Lucas's words.

Lucas said, in a hopeless voice, "She said she was done. With me."

I said, slowly realizing the truth in my own words, "She never said a lot about you. But, the last time she spoke to me, she told me that she was still waiting for someone like you."

"So, she doesn't hate me?" Lucas asked, instantaneously.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Alex turn towards me. Waiting for my answer.
"She never hated you. She told me herself that she will never regret whatever happened between the two of you. When she said she was done, she wanted you to fight for her. You gave up too soon."

Alexander chimed in, "How was he supposed to understand that?" Lucas expressed his approval on Alex's opinion, strongly. I gave them both a very hard glare before answering.