e p i l o u g e - 1 # one unsaid goodbye

Epilogue 1:- One unsaid goodbye

I was ready to punch the window of the plane when it landed at California, much less wait for the goddamn announcement instructing me to get off. Much much less, want to hear the rambling of the cab driver as he drove to the State university.

"If you're a student, my friend, that kinda luggage will not last you a week." he said, pointing at my small backpack. "You hardly look like a student though, ya know." I knew what he was talking about. The tattoos.

"Look, dude, just get me to the goddamn university. The rest is none of your business." I said, gritting my teeth.

"No offense." he said, but continued no further.

I looked out the window. We were now approaching a less busier street. "Are we there yet?"

"Close. About 10 more minutes." he said.

I spotted a florist arranging flowers.

Fuck. I should've thought of buying something for her. Flowers? She wasn't that big on flowers. Chocolate? She never had a sweet tooth. More like a spicy tongue.

The sensible choice should be buying some kinda bulletproof jacket for me, because, man, that's the only way I was gonna survive today.

I closed my eyes. As exhausted as I felt, with the late night flight, and the night before that, something was messing up my blood flow. I felt the light, rhythmic pumping of blood in my veins. The usual feeling before racing. One that can be a near death experience.

Not far from.

I had no idea what to expect. Facebook stalking could only tell so much about Lizza. She wasn't much of a social person. It had been two long years. Two years. Are they enough to convert all the love into hate? To bring enough distance between us?

"Fuck." I muttered under my breath as I handed out cash to the driver. "Best of luck, mate." he said.

"Thanks. I need it." I said. More than you know.

I didn't waste time. I straight up went towards the dorms which Norah had informed me about. Completing a few formalities, I finally got to her dorm. 84 B. The woman who came up with me looked at me suspiciously. Ofcourse, why would Lizza Carter have a low life visitor like me?

I wish I knew the answer myself.

She knocked twice on Lizza's door, right under the 84 B sign written in gold letters. My pulse raced.

Two years.

One unsaid goodbye.

I clenched my backpack tighter.

I heard the click of the door.

I straightened the expression on my face into a smile. Fuck, even twitching my lips felt weird.

Lizza's eyes caught an expression between a smile and a frown when she swiftly opened the door. Her eyes grew wide. And she gasped.

I don't even have a remote idea of how I reacted.

"Miss. Carter, you have a visitor. I suppose you know this gentleman?" the woman said, in a practiced tone.

"Umm...un...a visi..um..yea-yeah. He's a..un.. a friend. Yeah." she fumbled, her round brown eyes shifting between me and her over and over again.

I couldn't blame her. Not when I was standing like a fucking statue.

"Okay. You know the limits. Two hours maximum." she said and strutted down the hallway.