Chapter 53: Unexpected

Thank you @artrme on Instagram for making me this lovely artwork last year of Brett, Becca and some roses ;)

Becca

The smell of bacon cooking greeted me as I walked out of Brett's bathroom, freshly showered. He had left me a pair of his clothes to wear - sweatpants and a t-shirt that were way too big - folded into a neat pile outside his bathroom door.

I glanced at Brett's bed quickly. The covers were pulled up neatly, pillows in place, even the garbage littering his floor and dressers was missing. He must have cleaned his room while I was showering. I smiled at the thought.

My eyes widened as I spotted my pink bra on Brett's chair, standing out brightly amid all the neutral colours in his room. I grabbed it quickly and stuffed it under my jeans, hiding it from sight.

My lips pursed as I eyed the photo on his desk -- the photo of me. I could hide it in a drawer, but Brett would find it ...

Laughing to myself, I picked up the photo and placed it face down in a drawer in Brett's desk. He'd no doubt find it soon enough and place it back on his desk, but oh well. We'd take one of the two of us and have that framed soon to replace it.

Walking out of Brett's room, I traced our steps from last night through the hallway and down the stairs, following the smell of bacon and the sounds of Brett cooking until I was standing in the kitchen. I took a deep breath and inhaled the smell of bacon, coffee and ... waffles?

Wooden cabinets lined the walls, a large island with a marble countertop took up the middle of the space, with five bar stools on one side that opened up into the dining room. On the wall on the other side of the island were more cupboards, with a grey shiny fridge nestled in between.

My eyes immediately went to the stove, where Brett was standing with his back to me wearing nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants that hung low around his waist. His arms were moving quickly, the hard muscles in his back shifting as he cooked what I assumed to be bacon on the stove top. His head was bobbing side-to-side and I noticed his phone atop the counter where it was plugged into a mini speaker, playing music that Brett was moving along to.

Standing there watching him made my heart warm. He was cooking me breakfast. The only person who had ever done that was my mother.

I stood there for a minute watching, the coolness from the tiles freezing my bare feet. The song came to an end and Brett reached out quickly and pressed a button on his phone before another song came crooning out. He bobbed his head in tune with the music as he placed the bacon from the pan onto a plate beside the stove. I almost giggled when he began to sway his hips to the side.

A loud beep rang through the kitchen and I watched Brett walk to his right before opening a white iron and taking out four perfect squares.

Waffles. I had been right. How did he know they were my favourite?

Slowly, I made my way through the kitchen and around the island, careful not to make a sound. I crept up behind Brett and he still hadn't noticed me -- he was completely concentrated on the food in front of him.

I slid my arms around Brett, pressing myself into his back. "Smells good," I murmured, standing on my tiptoes and pressing a kiss onto his skin that smelt warm like cinnamon.

Brett chuckled before he spun around quickly, making me shriek as he wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me even closer to his bare chest.