Chapter 56: Ocean Eyes

Chapter song: Versace on the Floor - Bruno Mars <3

Brett

I could feel the weight of Becca on me as I slowly opened my eyes. Her head was on my shoulder and her entire body was wrapped around mine. A smile stretched across my face as I shifted my head to look at her. Laying here, just the two of us, for the foreseeable future was looking pretty fucking great.

She was still wearing that blue dress that made her eyes look like the ocean -- as if they were going to swallow me up and I would just float there and let them. When she opened the door looking like that ... I said the only two words I could muster up since all my other thoughts were looping around like crazy in my head; like how I felt like the luckiest guy in the world to be there standing before her, or how looking at that dress made me want to take it off.

I groaned. If Becca wasn't laying on top of me I would slap myself for thinking that.

Keeping one arm around her shoulder, I gently removed my other one from where it rested on her stomach and reached across the bed blindly to find my phone. My hand grazed beneath Becca's pillow and I felt its cold surface. I pulled it to my face and squinted against the bright light.

Three in the morning. Great. That's three hours later than when I promised my mom I would be home.

She hated being home alone now, especially at night time. Sleeping when I was out wasn't even an option for her. I promised her I would be back by midnight and I had every intention to keep it. But when I had Becca in my arms ... everything else kind of faded away aside from her. It was reckless and careless and downright stupid but hell, so was I.

Gently, I brushed the hair off her forehead with my hand and kissed her cheek before untangling myself from her body. Standing beside her bed, I looked around for my car keys and from the corner of my eye I saw her move slightly. Her hand travelled across the empty space I just laid in, searching for something -- searching for me.

I'll never get used to that.

"Brett?" She murmured, her eyes still closed. I sat back down on the edge of the bed and grabbed her wandering hand in mine.

"I'm right here, love."

Her eyes fluttered open and she blinked twice before they searched the darkness and she noticed me sitting on the edge of the bed, my car keys lingering in my hand.

"You're leaving?" She whispered sadly. Part of me was happy that she wanted me to stay, the other part of me wanted to lay here with her and never get up.

"It's almost three in the morning, Becca," I told her gently, setting down my keys on her nightstand so I could rest my hand on her cheek, "I need to go back to my house." I was going to say "home" but nowhere classified as home if she wasn't there.

"It's so late," she murmured, closing her eyes once again, "just sleep here." She tugged on my hand softly and I gave in, tumbling back into the bed beside her and pressing her tightly to my chest. I should have left but she was here and sleep made her even more fucking adorable than she already was.

A few more minutes wouldn't matter. I nestled into the bed and Becca smiled triumphantly, adjusting her body to fit into mine perfectly.

"Ten more minutes," I whispered into her hair, kissing her head. Her lips pressed into my neck and my body tensed.

"One more hour?" She countered, lifting her head up to watch my face. As soon as I opened my mouth to protest her lips were there, kissing me slowly. What were we talking about again? I didn't even fucking care at this point.